Beverage Container Recycling
CalRecycle regulates the sale, collection and recycling of California Refund Value (CRV) beverage containers made from aluminum, glass, plastic, and bimetal. Enforcement efforts focus on compliance with the recordkeeping, reporting and operational requirements to protect the Beverage Container Recycling Fund from unsubstantiated, illicit, or fraudulent program payments.
Quarterly and Annual Enforcement Reports
Since 2013, CalRecycle has been reporting on compliance and enforcement activities conducted by its Recycling Program Enforcement Branch and our interagency partners including California Department of Justice (DOJ), the Office of the Attorney General, and the California Department of Food and Agriculture. Activities reported include, but are not limited to:
- On-site inspections of recycling centers and dealers.
- Probationary and investigative reviews of program participants.
- Monitoring and tracking of imported empty beverage container materials.
- Processor inspections of recycler loads.
- Validation of proper cancellation of redeemed empty beverage containers.
- Referrals to DOJ.
- Arrests and prosecution of individuals and/or entities engaged in fraudulent activities.
- Recycling Program Enforcement Branch Quarterly Statistics, October 18, 2016 (PDF, 1.8 MB)
- Recycling Program Enforcement Branch Quarterly Statistics, July 19, 2016 (PDF, 2.3 MB)
- Recycling Program Enforcement Branch 2015 Annual Statistics, April 19, 2016 (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- Recycling Program Enforcement Branch Quarterly Statistics, January 26, 2016 (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- Annual CalRecycle Enforcement Report
Accusations Filed and Served
Findings resulting from CalRecycle reviews and investigations are the basis for administrative accusations to assess civil penalties, seek restitution, and/or revoke a participant’s certification if warranted.
- CRV Violator Gets Prison Sentence: Five years for fraud against the state’s Beverage Container Recycling program (December 14, 2016)
- Summer recycling fraud stings lead to 11 arrests in California (October 12, 2016)
- Agents, CHP Thwart Phoenix-Based Recycling Fraud Scheme (August 10, 2016)
- Raids on Storage Yards Uncover Recycling Fraud Rings: Two plead guilty in Los Angeles County smuggling schemes (May 23, 2016)
- Recycling Fraud Arrest: Same Trucking Company, New Driver. New Evolution Trucking busted twice in three months (April 7, 2016)
- First Recycling Fraud Border Bust of 2016: Agents prevent $13,550 hit to California’s CRV fund (February 16, 2016)
- CHP Joins Recycling Fraud Fight: Three arrests in six weeks hit out-of-state beverage container schemes (October 29, 2015)
- Fontana Man Charged in Illegal Recycling Haul: Busted at border for beverage container fraud (May 11, 2015)
- State to Receive $1.8 Million Settlement in Beverage Container Recycling Fraud Case (February 13, 2015)
Beverage Container Recycling, http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/BevContainer/