Beverage Container Recycling Grant and Payment Programs
Recycling Market Development and Expansion Grants
The release of the $20 million Recycling Market Development and Expansion Grant Solicitation for 2009 is postponed until further notice. To receive notification when the solicitation is released, please add your name and contact information to our grants mail list by calling 1-800-RECYCLE or (916) 323-5878.
Assembly Bill 28 (Chapter 753, Statutes of 2003) created the Beverage Container Recycling Market Development and Expansion Grant Program that authorized the Division of Recycling to expend up to $10 million annually until January 1, 2007 to award grants for recycling market development and expansion activities. Assembly Bill 3056 (Chapter 907, Statutes of 2006) extended the Grant Program to January 1, 2012, and increased the funding up to $20 million annually. (Public Resources Code Section 14581 (a)(11)).
To improve the beverage container recycling rate in California and to encourage programs to achieve sustainable containers, packaging materials or systems, the Department seeks innovative, but realistic projects that (1) create market opportunities for new, sustainable products or packaging made from recycled beverage container materials; (2) expand market-related activities for existing products made from recycled beverage container materials; (3) improve the quality and supply of beverage container material feedstock for use in manufacturing sustainable products or packaging; or 4) create market opportunities for new, sustainable beverage packaging. The Department is also interested in new jobs creation and the related economic development associated with such projects.
Projects eligible for funding under the program, as specified in statute, include but are not limited to:
- Research and development of collecting, sorting, processing, cleaning, or otherwise upgrading the market value of recycled beverage containers.
- Identification, development, and expansion of markets for recycled beverage containers. Research and development for products manufactured using recycled beverage containers.
- Research and development to provide high-quality materials that are substantially free of contamination.
- Payment to California manufacturers who recycle beverage containers that are marked by resin type identification codes “3”, “4”, “5”, “6”, or “7” pursuant to Section 18015 of the Public Resources Code.
Market-related activities may include material collection and processing improvements; research and development; demonstration of new technologies; creation of new products using recycled beverage containers; and overcoming barriers to the purchase of recycled-content products. Projects may come from an array of organizations, from manufacturers and trade associations to environmental groups and community organizations.
- Solicitation, April 3, 2008 (PDF, 579 KB)
- Questions and Answers, April 15, 2008 (PDF, 184 KB)
- Award Notice, Nov. 18, 2008 (PDF, 47 KB)
- Phase I--Concept Notice, July 1, 2008 (PDF, 97 KB)
- Sample Terms and Conditions (PDF, 145 KB)
- Full Proposal (Completed by applicants whose concepts received a "pass" score in the concept phase.)
- Market Analysis for Recycled Beverage Container Materials (2009 Update) February 24, 2010
Beverage Container Recycling Grants, http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/BevContainer/Grants/