- Public Meetings
- Meeting Webcasts
- Decisions Pending & Opportunities for Public Participation
- Laws & Regulations
- Data Central
- Facility Information Toolbox (FacIT)
CalRecycle is working within state and local government and the business community to recognize and promote recycling as an economic development tool as well as an environmental tool. CalRecycle staff offer assistance to help reuse/recycling-based businesses start and prosper in California. Additionally, CalRecycle offers current information and resources to help grow and green individual businesses while maintaining or exceeding environmental compliance. For more information, contact the applicable CalRecycle staff for your city or county.
Grow My Business
CalRecycle offers funding opportunities to assist public and private entities in the safe and effective management of waste. Some economic incentives include grants to address household hazardous waste, used oil, and tires. In addition, CalRecycle’s Recycling Market Development Zone Loan Program combines recycling with economic development to fuel new businesses, expand existing ones, create jobs, and divert waste from landfills.
In addition to the Recycling Market Development Zone loan and other CalRecycle funding programs, CalRecycle coordinates with staff from the following programs in researching business assistance opportunities.
- California Pollution Control Financing Authority (Bond)
- California Capital Access Program
- Collateral Support Program
- Community Development Block Grant Program
- State Loan Guarantee Program
The Governor's Economic Development Initiative (GEDI): The new economic development tools include a Manufacturing Sales and Use Tax Exemption, a New Employment Credit, and the California Competes Tax Credit for business attraction, expansion and retention.
These and other business resources are available in the California Workforce Investment Board’s Business Services Resources Catalog (PDF, 148 KB) as well as the Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development’s California Investment Guide (PDF, 489 KB).
Market Development Assistance
- Compost Market Development
- Recycling Market Development Zone (RMDZ) Program
- Tire Recycling and Business Assistance Resources
- Conversion Technology
- Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
Green My Business
Increasing the recovery of recyclable materials directly reduces greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) emissions. California's mandatory commercial recycling law focuses on increased commercial recycling as a method to reduce GHG emissions. Under this law, businesses (including public entities) that generate four cubic yards or more of commercial solid waste per week and multifamily residential dwellings of five units or more are required by law to arrange for recycling services.
Regardless of whether or not your business must recycle, it just makes sense. Don’t throw your profits out with the trash. By practicing waste prevention, reusing products, recycling whenever possible, and making environmentally conscious purchases, your business can not only meet the mandates, but also cut costs, increase profits, and help the environment.
- Small Business Toolkit at Coolcalifornia.org
- California Green Business Program
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology’s Hollings Manufacturing Extension Partnership
- Award and/or Recognition Programs
- Green Building
- Green Roads
- Compost & Mulch Procurement
- Fleet Vehicles: Take Care of Your Tires | Check Your Number (oil change intervals)
- School Waste Reduction
Related Tools and Resources
If you would like to receive technical assistance to green your business, please complete our online request form.