State Agency Buy Recycled Campaign
The State Agency Buy Recycled Campaign (SABRC) requires that every State department, board, commission, office, State universities, and the Legislature must:
- Require all suppliers certify the postconsumer recycled-content (PC) of their products that fall within the 11 reportable categories.
- Purchase products (Word, 32 KB) that contain the minimum of PC materials.
- Attain recycled-content product (RCP) procurement mandates.
- Submit an annual report on dollars spent on products purchased in 11 reportable product categories. All products purchased, whether or not the products are RCPs, must be included in the annual report.
For additional information, see a summary of statutes that pertain SABRC.
SABRC requires that the California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle):
- Make recommendations on revising the procurement policies of any agency that has not met the SABRC requirements.
- Every three years, make recommendations to the Legislature for changes necessary to increase the purchase of RCPs and improve SABRC program efficiency.
CalRecycle in partnership with the Department of General Services (DGS) can assist State agencies in meeting their SABRC goals as follows:
- Review purchasing policies and make recommendations for revisions to ensure RCP purchasing requirements are met.
- Assist State agencies in establishing RCP-only bids or cooperative purchasing arrangements, which encourages maximum state purchase of RCPs.
- Review and revise purchasing specifications used by State agencies in order to eliminate restrictive specifications and discrimination against the purchase of RCPs.
The SABRC also requires DGS to:
Submit a report to CalRecycle on or before October 31 of each year noting all the previous fiscal year statewide-used contracts, agreements, or schedules for both recycled and non-recycled-content products that fall into one of the SABRC product categories.
How Are We Doing? Find out how State agencies are doing in meeting their recycled-content purchase requirements.
State Agency Buy Recycled Campaign, http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/BuyRecycled/StateAgency/
Contact: SABRC@calrecycle.ca.gov, (916) 341-6199