Construction and Demolition Debris Recycling
C&D Recycling Tools for Contractors, Local Governments, and Processors
The contractor's toolkit includes a number of tools developed by CalRecycle to assist contractors working to divert waste from job sites. These tools include specifications, corporate best management practices, planning tools, and other resources.
- Does your jurisdiction have a C&D ordinance or is it considering adopting one? CalRecycle has sample C&D ordinances to assist your jurisdiction in the development of its own C&D ordinance.
- CalRecycle has also developed a C&D Diversion Guide for Local Governments as a companion to the Model Ordinance.
- For a list of conversion factors for C&D material and lumber (see wood), please see Appendix I of the Diversion Study Guide.
- Local Governments often use Caltrans' Standard Specifications and Standard Special Provisions for road projects. Caltrans' specifications allow the use of recycled aggregate in these projects.
This information is to assist in the permitting and operating requirements for C&D and inert transfer and processing facilities. Regulations affecting C&D and inert debris transfer/processing facilities became effective on August 9, 2003. Check these regulations to see if they apply to your facility. Or, review the Rulemaking Archive for more information regarding the rulemaking history. Other useful resources can be found at the following websites:
- Construction/Demolition and Inert Debris Resources-- Information concerning the regulations for CDI Transfer and Processing facilities.
- Questions and Answers: Construction and Demolition and Inert Debris Transfer/Processing Regulations
- Tier Framework Highlights (MS Word, 18 KB)
- Permit Toolbox (information on all permit types)