Closing the Loop: Exploring Integrated Waste Management and Resource Conservation
Are you looking for a K-6 grade curriculum that is...
- An excellent resource for incorporating waste prevention, recycling, and composting concepts into the classroom?
- Interdisciplinary, action-oriented, and hands-on?
- Aligned with California's Content Standards and Frameworks?
If you answered, "Yes!", then Closing the Loop is the curriculum for you!! Closing the Loop is a compilation of 50 lessons to help students discover and nurture an environmental ethic and stewardship for natural resources. The activities focus on solid waste and environmental awareness topics including landfills, recycling, packaging, resource conservation, waste prevention, worm composting, and more. Each lesson encourages students to explore their natural environment, identify waste management issues, and engage in personal and community action projects.
On this page...
History of Closing the Loop
Closing the Loop (CTL) was selected from a number of quality curricula collected nationwide and evaluated by 24 top California environmental educators using an assessment tool based upon California education frameworks and integrated waste management concepts (see Compendium Project). Teachers then field-tested the curriculum and offered suggestions for revision and improvement. As a result, improvements were made in lesson presentation and content. During 1997-1999, CTL was further revised and organized into grade level modules resulting in the 2000 edition.
How to Get a Copy
The Board offers Closing the Loop and accompanying documents in Adobe PDF format. Simply select a specific lesson or unit of your choice for grade levels K-3 or 4-6 from the CTL Table of Contents.
View Correlations to California State Standards
Six different correlation documents are available that correlate each lesson to the State's standards by grade level, subject, and activity. You may download or order these documents from the Board's publications catalog.
- English/Language Arts Content Standards, Grades K-6 (322-00-016)
- History/Social Science Content Standards, Grades K-6 (322-00-015)
- Mathematics Content Standards, Grades K-6 (322-00-018)
- Science Content Standards, Grades K-6 (322-00-017)
- History/Social Studies, Language Arts, Mathematics, and Science (by Activity) (322-00-020)
- History/Social Studies, Language Arts, Mathematics, and Science (by Grade Level) (322-00-019)