Electronic Waste Management
Covered Electronic Waste Payment System
California’s landmark legislation, the Electronic Waste Recycling Act of 2003, and associated regulations establish a funding system for the collection and recycling of certain electronic wastes. This system, the covered electronic waste (CEW) recovery and recycling program, is intended to provide all Californian’s convenient recycling opportunities for unwanted electronics.
Key Elements of the Program
- Regulatory information from CalRecycle and DTSC implementing the act
- Covered electronic device fees funding the program are collected by retailers and remitted to the Board of Equalization
- Payments subsidize the average cost of covered electronic waste collection and recycling for qualified entities
- Manufacturer responsibilities to limit hazardous substances in certain electronic devices sold in California.
- Covered Electronic Waste Recycling Statistics (PDF, 279 KB)
- News & Events
Listserv subscription, contact information, and news about upcoming and past workshops.
- List of Approved Collectors and Recyclers
A search tool for verifying the real-time approval status of CEW system participants and finding approved participant identification numbers and contact information.
- Documents, Forms, and Resources Supporting Participants
This collection of forms can be used by participants to comply with requirements regarding applications, recordkeeping, data collection, claims preparation, etc.
- Weighmaster Enforcement Program (WEP)
CalRecycle has established an interagency agreement (IAA) with the Department of Food and Agriculture’s Weighmaster Enforcement Program to survey, audit, inspect, and, as necessary, investigate compliance with applicable Weighmaster laws.
- Net Cost Reports Are Due March 1