California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) 


Questions and Answers: Household Hazardous Waste Grant Program, Cycle 28 (FY 2017-18)

Questions about the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Grant Program Cycle 28 (construction projects) grant application are accepted in writing only, no later than February 21, 2017. Similar or related questions may be grouped together or reworded for clarity and responded to as one question.

All questions and answers will be posted during the application period and are subject to updates. It is the applicant's responsibility to check this website for the latest information regarding this grant cycle.

Note: This page is for Cycle 28 questions and answers only. Cycle 29 will tentatively be available early 2017.


  1. Can you clarify the difference between an individual applicant and a regional applicant?

    An individual applicant is a single public entity (city, county, or city and county), applying on its own behalf. The jurisdiction may have partners or subcontractors, but is the only applicant and is individually responsible for the grant. Joint Powers Authorities (JPAs) apply as an individual applicant.

    A regional applicant is comprised of two or more public entities, with a lead jurisdiction designated to act on behalf of all participating jurisdictions. The lead jurisdiction will be the Grantee and will be responsible for the performance of the grant, recordkeeping and for submission of all required documentation. If a jurisdiction is a participant in a regional application, it cannot submit an individual application.

  2. What date should applicants anticipate receiving a Notice to Proceed letter upon award of a Cycle 28 grant?

    CalRecycle staff anticipates awarding grants in July 2017. Notice to Proceed letters will be sent in August/September 2017.

  3. On the Narrative Proposal document, what does the term “gaps and barriers” mean?

    The term “gaps and barriers” defines “gaps” as missing programs, activities, or actions etc., which may fulfill an identified need of a program.  The term “barriers” refers to identified road blocks/obstructions that prevents or impleads a program, activity, action, etc., from realizing a successful outcome for the prescribed programs, activities and actions, etc.

  4. Why is CalRecycle including Disadvantaged Community (DAC) criteria into HHW grant Cycle 28?

    Including Disadvantaged Community criteria in cycle 28 supports CalRecycle’s mission to address environmental justice issues to ensure fair treatment and access to all communities regarding development, implementation and enforcement of environmental laws, regulations and policies, including disadvantaged communities or those impacted by multiple pollution sources. 


  1. Why is Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) grant Cycle 28, FY 2017–18, focused on construction?

    Based on the August 2015 survey results, stakeholders shared it is difficult for construction projects to coincide with construction grant solicitation when it is offered every other year. For FY 2017–18, CalRecycle will offer two grant cycles: HHW construction projects (cycle 28) and HHW small projects (cycle 29). Cycle 28 is focused on projects that physically construct a new Permanent Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility or Recycle-Only Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility or expands those existing facilities for the purpose of expanding programs and increasing collection of HHW materials by adding HHW disposal convenience and opportunities for the public. Infrastructure costs (e.g., buildings, roads, storage, equipment, utilities, water, sewage, etc.) related to the construction project are eligible.

  2. Are solar panels an item that can be the focus of extended producer responsibility efforts under grant Cycle 28?

    No. CalRecycle is not allowing extended producer responsibility efforts for solar panels for this cycle. However, a permanent Household Hazardous Waste facility construction project may include areas for solar panel collection and storage.

  3. Would the purchase of a truck for the mobile collection of Household Hazardous Waste be an eligible expense?

    No. This is not an eligible expense for this construction focus cycle. It will be eligible under grant Cycle 29 (small projects).

  4. Is public education and outreach for the use of our Very Small Quantity Generators program an eligible expense?

    No. Public education and outreach for the use of your Very Small Quantity Generators program(s) is not an eligible expense under grant Cycle 28.

  5. Would the promotion and expansion of new and existing extended producer responsibility collection locations be an eligible expense?

    No. Extended producer responsibility activities are not an eligible expense for this construction cycle. It would be eligible under grant Cycle 29 (small projects).

  6. What are some examples of projects that are eligible for Cycle 28?
    • Construction costs related to construction of new Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) facility buildings.
    • Construction costs related to expanding/improving existing HHW buildings such as modular prefab units, permanent onsite storage units/lockers permanent canopy, reuse building, etc.
    • HHW equipment related to the construction improvement such as sorting carts, work tables, ventilation.
    • Site improvements related to the construction project that increase the functional and operational efficiency of the HHW program.
    • Publicity and Education for the construction project up to 10 percent of the grant award, etc.
  7. What are some examples of projects that are ineligible for Cycle 28?
    • Repaving, resurfacing, repainting, reroofing, cleaning and maintenance of existing facilities/structures that are not related to the proposed construction/expansion project.
    • Equipment maintenance, equipment replacement. Personal protection equipment, ongoing operational supplies, etc.
    • Extended producer responsibility activities, Sharps containers/kiosks, Pharmaceutical collection, Batteries, fluorescent bulbs, etc.
    • Temporary Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events, Door to Door Residential Collection, Mobile Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
    • Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator Waste
    • Vehicles, mobile trailers, office equipment, etc.
  8. Can I apply for both FY 2017–18 cycles (construction and small projects)?


  9. Would sealing all the cracks in the concrete floor of our Household Hazardous Waste facility qualify as an improvement under Cycle HD28?

    No. Sealing all the cracks in the concerte floor of your Household Hazardous Waste facility will not qualify as an improvement under Cycle HD28. This activity is maintenance, and is ineligible for Cycle HD28.

  10. There are a total of three exterior modular prefab Household Hazardous Waste storage units at our facility; 1) flammable waste storage; 2) electronic waste storage; and 3) reusable materials storage that have rust damage which cannot be repaired thus, the units must be replaced. Would this be an eligible expense?

    Yes, the exterior modular prefabricated storage units would be considered an eligible expense if it results in an expansion or improvement to your existing Household Hazardous Waste collection program.


  1. What is the total amount of funds available? How much funding could I receive?

    A total of $500,000 is available for Cycle 28, subject to funding availability. The maximum award amount will be $250,000 for individual or regional grant applicants.


  1. Can we submit an application both as an individual and within a Joint Powers Authority (JPA) or regional application? If not, and an applicant submits an application for both an individual and a JPA, or a regional, at what point in the process will the applicant be required to decide which application goes forward?

    An applicant can only submit one application either as an individual or as part of a regional or JPA, per cycle. If more than one application is submitted by an applicant, it will be the applicant’s responsibility to decide which application should go forward. If the additional application(s) are not withdrawn, all applications from that entity will be disqualified, and that entity will be eliminated from any regional application of which it is a part.

  2. On the Narrative Proposal, the amount of space is limited for my responses. Is it possible to either expand the boxes to add more information or to submit additional pages?

    No. The Narrative Proposal is a Microsoft Word document with a 2500 character limited response size for each question and should not be expanded. Utilizing a document form other than the official CalRecycle version, tampering with the CalRecycle version or otherwise circumventing imposed character limits will subject the applicant to disqualification from the Household Hazardous Waste Grant Program.

  3. What types of activities should applicants include on the Work Plan?

    Applicants should complete their Work Plan document by listing the grant funded major activities and steps or tasks necessary to implement and complete the proposed project. Applicants are asked to provide a logical timeframe in chronological order for all proposed grant funded activities.

  4. How is the General Checklist of Business Permits, Licenses and Filings (form 669) used to determine eligibility?

    The form 669 gives the review team an overview of the current permit status of the proposed construction project. Since every jurisdiction may have different permitting and processing procedures, it is critical that the permitting process for your particular project be explained in the narrative proposal of the application. For example, explain the current permit status of your project by indicating the activities completed and needed for each permit. Explaining what permits are in process, will be obtained during the construction, and will be obtained at the project completion along with their requirements will give the review team need clarity in determining the proposals construction readiness.

  5. Can a current/previous awarded applicant apply for next round of Household Hazardous Waste grants, or do we need to finish our current HD grant before applying for another one?

    Yes, a current/previously awarded applicant can apply for the next round of funding and does not need to finish their current HD grant before applying.

FY 2017-18 HHW Grants Home | HHW Grants Home

Last updated: February 22, 2017
Used Oil and HHW Grants
Contact: (916) 341-5062