California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) 


Questions and Answers: Household Hazardous Waste Grant Program, Cycle 29 (FY 2017-18)

Questions about the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Grant Program Cycle 29 (small projects) grant application are accepted in writing only, no later than March 6, 2017. Similar or related questions may be grouped together or reworded for clarity and responded to as one question.

All questions and answers will be posted during the application period and are subject to updates. It is the applicant's responsibility to check this website for the latest information regarding this grant cycle.


  1. Can you clarify the difference between an individual applicant and a regional applicant?  

    An individual applicant is a single public entity (city, county, or city and county), applying on its own behalf. The jurisdiction may have partners or subcontractors, but is the only applicant and is individually responsible for the grant. Joint Powers Authorities (JPAs) apply as an individual applicant. Because they can represent multiple public entities, JPAs are afforded the higher maximum grant award amount.

    A regional group is comprised of two or more public entities, with a lead jurisdiction designated to act on behalf of all participating jurisdictions. The lead jurisdiction will be the Grantee and will be responsible for the performance of the grant, recordkeeping and for submission of all required documentation. If a jurisdiction is a participant in a regional group application, it cannot also submit an individual jurisdiction application.

  2. What date should applicants anticipate receiving a Notice to Proceed letter upon award of a Cycle 29 grant?  

    CalRecycle staff anticipates sending the Notice to Proceed letters to all awarded applicants in August 2017.

  3. If I applied for the Cycle 28 construction grant may I also apply for this Cycle 29 small projects grant?  



  1. Are kiosks or containers for sharps/pharmaceuticals collection an eligible expense under Cycle 29?

    No. Sharps/pharmaceuticals, containers/kiosks, and their management and disposal costs are not eligible.

  2. Are Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators waste and Very Small Quantity Generators waste expenses eligible for this grant? 

    No. Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators and Very Small Quantity Generators waste expenses and activities are ineligible.

  3. Are Extended Producers Responsibility activities for photovoltaic solar panels eligible?   

    No. CalRecycle is not allowing extended producers responsibility activities for Photovoltaic solar panels this cycle.

  4. Would the purchase of a truck for the mobile collection of household hazardous waste be an eligible expense? If so, what category would this fall under?

    Yes. Purchasing a truck to pick up household hazardous waste items within the program is an eligible expense under “Set-up and operation of temporary or mobile collection program for one-day or multi-day collection events.” It falls under the “Equipment” budget category.

  5. Our HHW facility’s operations area is on a concrete slab, formerly the engine bay when the facility served as a fire station. This concrete slab has numerous cracks, and we have attempted to seal these using different methods and materials but these fixes just don’t stand up to the traffic and use. One sure method is to have the concrete sealed using an epoxy resin coating, which is very expensive. Would this be a qualifying project under HD29?

    Yes. An improvement to an existing HHW facility is eligible up to the maximum award amount.

  6. Is the installation of a perimeter security fence considered a “minor improvement”?


  7. Could establishing and promoting a Reuse program qualify for a type of pilot project? We are considering two options: One–to modify our permanent center to have storage as a reuse center for residents to obtain reusable products collected at HHW collections. Two–to purchase a trailer to serve as a mobile reuse center to be taken to temporary HHW events for residents to obtain reusable products.

    No. Both options do not qualify for a type of pilot project, but they are eligible projects for HD29.

  8. Could preparing a facility for a reuse center and to have the ability to accept waste from Small Quantity Generators be included in the minor improvements to an existing HHW facility?

    Minor improvements to a facility to create a reuse center are eligible. A project to expand a facility to accept waste from Small Quantity Generators is eligible, if the facility is permitted by the State to accept this waste, and the improvement to the existing HHW facility is minor (Examples include: storage bins, signage, painting, paving, shelving, etc.).

  9. Replacing our roof on my HHW facility would be eligible?


  10. Can grant funds be used to purchase coupons or vouchers to give as an incentive to purchase refillable 1 lb. gas cylinders or a reusable alternative to marine flares?

    Yes. The grant funds could be used to purchase coupons/vouchers for a one-pound cylinder; however, the limit is $20 per coupon/voucher. We recommend using the coupon/voucher to exchange the refillable cylinder for four non-reusable cylinders. This will encourage the public to recycle them. Coupons for reusable marine flares could be eligible; however, the $20 limit applies. The reusable marine flares may not be feasible because of the cost.

  11. Is it an eligible grant expenditure to pay for admin staff time during the regular workweek to work on grant-related activities such as writing up a contract, putting together advertising for a temporary HHW event (flyers, radio/newspaper ads, online, etc.), EPR projects, and other work directly related to Household Hazardous Waste?

    Administrative staff time during the regular workweek is an eligible expenditure only if the personnel costs are included in the approved grant budget and all activities are related to the approved grant projects in the Narrative Proposal. Grantees could use the Personnel Expenditure Summary Form (CalRecyle 165) to document personnel expenditures based on actual time spent on grant activities and actual amounts paid to personnel.

  12. After reading the Q&A I just wanted to verify that my city would be eligible to pursue this grant.  We would apply as an individual agency; however, after reading the Q&A I noticed that conditionally exempt small quantity generators and very small generators are ineligible. As an agency that falls within this category, would we then be unable to pursue this? To my knowledge, we have never paid the state fees for Hazardous Waste Generator Fee because we have always been under 5 tons.

    Local governments (any chartered or general law city, chartered or general law county, or any city and county) that have direct responsibility for HHW management are qualified to apply for an HHW grant. An agency is not considered a generator if the hazardous waste is collected from residents.

  13. Can grant funds be used to purchase forklift propane tanks for retail businesses that already sell and refill propane 5 gallon cylinders so they can refill 1 lb. cylinders? Forklift tanks cost $200-$300.


  14. Can grant funds be used to buy marine flare portable destruction units that cost~$30,000 and can be used for fireworks and other explosives?


  15. Can grant funds be used to purchase the~$20 refill adapters for retail businesses to use to fill 1 lb. cylinders?


  16. Does the set up and operations of temporary or mobile collection program for one-day or multi-day events include the disposal costs of the waste?

    Yes. The disposal costs for HHW collected at the one-day and multi-day events is an eligible expense.

  17. Is the hourly rate of the staff attending a HAZWOPER training covered by grant funds or only the cost of the class?

    Yes. The hourly rate for the staff attending the HAZWOPER training is covered only if the personnel costs and the 8-hour refresher HAZWOPER training are included in the approved grant budget.

  18. Our facility is open on both ends. Most of the storms include winds from the south which causes flooding in the building. We also use cardboard Gaylord boxes and the moisture causes them to sag and buckle. Would installing a large roll-up door on the south side of the building be an eligible expense for HD29?

    Yes. Minor improvements to an existing HHW facility is an eligible expense.


  1. What is the total amount of funds available? How much funding could I receive?  

    A total of $1,000,000 is available for Cycle 29, subject to funding availability. The maximum award amount for an individual grant is $50,000, and for a regional or JPA grant award, the maximum is $75,000.


  1. Can we submit an application both as an individual and within a JPA or regional application? If not, and an applicant submits an application for both an individual and a JPA, or a regional, at what point in the process will the applicant be required to decide which application goes forward?  

    An applicant should only submit one application either as an individual or as part of a regional group or JPA. If more than one application is submitted by an applicant, it will be the applicant’s responsibility to decide which application should go forward. If the additional application(s) are not withdrawn, all applications from that entity will be disqualified, and that entity will be eliminated from any regional application of which it is a part.

  2. On the Narrative Proposal, the amount of space is limited for my responses. Is it possible to either expand the boxes to add more information or to submit additional pages?

    No. Response size for each section is limited to 3,500 characters and cannot be expanded. Utilizing a document form other than the official CalRecycle version, tampering with the CalRecycle version or otherwise circumventing imposed character limits will subject the applicant to disqualification from the Household Hazardous Waste Grant Program.

  3. What types of activities should applicants include on the Work Plan?

    Applicants should complete their Work Plan document by listing the grant funded major activities, steps or tasks necessary to implement and complete the proposed project. Applicants are asked to provide a logical timeframe in chronological order for all proposed grant funded activities.

  4. Can a current/previous awarded applicant apply for next round of Household Hazardous Waste grants, or do we need to finish our current HD grant before applying for another one?

    Yes. A current/previously awarded applicant can apply for the next round of funding and does not need to finish their current HD grant before applying.

  5. On the upcoming round of grants, my blanket Board of Supervisor authorization for grant applications expires the end of this fiscal year. Do I need a fresh one to apply for the current open round? I know I’ll need a new one to accept a grant if we’re lucky enough to win.

    A valid Resolution is needed in order to apply for and execute a grant agreement if awarded. If your Resolution expires prior to executing the grant agreement, a new one will be required.

FY 2016-17 HHW Grants Home | HHW Grants Home

Last updated: March 8, 2017
Used Oil and HHW Grants
Contact: (916) 341-5062