California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) 


Questions and Answers: Household Hazardous Waste Grant Program, Cycle 31 (FY 2018–19)

Questions about the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Grant Program Cycle 31 (small projects) application were accepted in writing only, no later than March 6, 2018. Similar or related questions were grouped together or reworded for clarity and responded to as one question.

The question and answer period is now closed for this grant cycle. All questions and answers are posted on this site.

NOTE: This page is for Cycle 31 questions and answers only.


  1. Can you clarify the difference between an individual applicant and a regional applicant?  

    An individual applicant is a single public entity (city, county, or city and county), applying on its own behalf. The jurisdiction may have partners or subcontractors, but it is the only applicant and is individually responsible for the grant.

    A regional applicant is comprised of two or more public entities, with a lead jurisdiction designated to act on behalf of all participating jurisdictions. The lead jurisdiction will be the Grantee and will be responsible for the performance of the grant, recordkeeping and submitting all required documentation.

    Joint Powers Authorities (JPA) may submit a grant application as an individual applicant by submitting a copy of its joint powers agreement. However, because they represent multiple public entities, JPAs are afforded the same maximum grant award as a regional applicant.

    If a jurisdiction is a participant in a regional/JPAs application, it cannot also submit an individual jurisdiction application.

  2. What date should applicants anticipate receiving a Notice to Proceed letter upon award of a Cycle 31 grant?  

    CalRecycle staff anticipates awarding grants in July 2018. Notice to Proceed letters will be sent in August/September 2018, after the Grant Agreement is executed.

  3. Is an entity eligible to apply for both Cycle 30 (construction projects) as well as Cycle 31 (small projects)?



  1. Are there limitations on what type of solar panels are eligible?  

    Solar panels collected from households (not contractors) at the one-day or multi-day collection events are eligible; however, applicants should be aware of the Department of Transportation rules (e.g. quantity, transportation limit/issues, etc.) and costs. Grantees are required to collect and report data on type/style of panels, manufacturer, volume, and the method of disposal for this pilot project.

  2. If the installer can prove that solar panels came from a residence, can they be processed through a pilot project?  The reason is that very few homeowners have the skills to remove solar panels safely as they are required to be installed by licensed electricians.  Verification could be via affidavit signed by the homeowner or an inventory log from the contractor.

    Yes, if an affidavit signed by the homeowner is provided with the solar panels.

  3. Will the pilot project be allowed to collect solar panels from commercial/small business quantity generators, government, water or school projects?


  4. Will the grant cover the costs for all solar panel collection, transportation, and reuse/recycling?

    Yes, as long as they are collected from one-day or multi-day collection events.

  5. We want to exclude film cadmium telluride solar panels from the project as only First Solar makes them and they have a take-back program and in-house recycling for them.  Is it ok to do the PV pilot and only collect crystalline silicon PVs which is almost exclusively what is coming back for recycling today?

    Yes, you can set a limit on what type of solar panels to collect at your events.  The film cadmium telluride solar panels will not be eligible for this grant if they are covered by another recycling/collection program.

  6. Because solar panels are removed at different times and many often do not have the capacity to store them, can we hold a one or two-day kick-off collection event followed by ongoing collection for two to six months?

    No.  It is only for temporary and mobile collection events (not ongoing).

  7. Due to the DTSC regulations not being finalized as to whether solar panels are hazardous or universal waste; therefore, costs to recycle specific solar panel types are currently unknown, can we submit a proposal with flexibility in the budget?

    Yes.  You can submit a budget based on a reasonable estimate.

  8. Are costs associated with the disposal and/or recycling of propane cylinders and/or marine flares, solar panels, common HHW materials and universal waste eligible?


  9. Does purchase of personal protection equipment include disposable chemical-resistant gloves, aprons, eye protection, etc., or does it include only durable personal protection equipment such as respirators, face shields, chemical resistant boots, puncture-proof gloves, etc.?

    These are all eligible costs.

  10. Does minor improvements to an existing HHW facility include exterior covered shed structures or other types of exterior storage to store materials (such as empty drums, boxes, and similar supplies) out of the elements?


  11. Regarding “8-hour refresher Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response Standards (HAZWOPER) training,” are costs associated with travel, lodging and per diem eligible?  It allows staff to attend the training in person rather than online.

    Yes. However, staff may not claim lodging, meal, or incidental expenses within 50 miles of his/her home or office.  Please refer to the Memorandum from the Department of Human Resources ( for travel expense reimbursement rates, and policies for excluded employees, which would be all grantees.

  12. We are seeking funding to establish an ongoing battery recycling program with receptacles installed at a variety of city facilities.  Will this funding be made available for the establishment of an ongoing project?

    Yes. The establishment of extended producer responsibility (EPR) activities is eligible up to the maximum award amount.

  13. Can the funding be used for projects relating to sharps collection and disposal associated with Homeless Encampments? Items such as containers, appropriate PPE, grabber tools, etc.


  14. Will the purchase of storage, shelving, lighting, signage, etc. for establishing HHW materials exchange program or reuse centers be eligible? Also, we are thinking of purchasing a trailer for a mobile reuse center to take to our mobile roundups. Would the purchase and configuration of a trailer be eligible for the grant?

    Yes, these are eligible costs.

  15. For the small project category that is for minor improvements to an existing HHW facility, can the application for this category include several smaller-cost projects (such as signage, paving, storage bins, shelving) or is the application limited to one larger project (such as HHW facility covered roofing or carport)?

    Yes, the application can cover both small or larger projects.

  16. Is this for new small projects only but not to be used for existing events? We do not have any HHW grants right now that specifically cover collection and disposal, but we are continuing to fund the HHW drop off program. Can we do four special, one day events around the lake with this small project grant?

    You can use the grant for any future one-day or multi-day HHW collection events regardless if you have held the same type of events in the past. You can host as many one-day events as you like, up to the maximum award amount allowed.


No questions were submitted in this category.


  1. If we received a grant in the 23rd cycle and haven't received a grant since, we would think we would get priority since we haven’t received funding in the last three cycles. Please confirm.

    Yes. Applicants who did not receive an HHW grant during FY 2015–16 (cycle 25), FY 2016–17 (cycle 27), and FY 2017–18 (cycle 29) will be given priority and funded before those who did receive a grant in the past three fiscal years.

FY 2018-19 HHW Grants Home | HHW Grants Home

Last updated: March 15, 2018
Used Oil and HHW Grants
Contact: (916) 341-5062