Local Government Construction and Demolition (C&D) Guide
Construction and Demolition References and Resources
Below are local government or waste industry representatives who have expertise in the area of construction and demolition (C&D) materials diversion. They have all consented to being listed on our website as resources for local government. Their inclusion below does not constitute endorsement by the California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) and is provided for informational purposes only. The California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) is distributing this information in an effort to increase public awareness and knowledge about this important topic.
- Stephen Bantillo: Environmental Services Specialist, City of San
Jose and Chair of CDDD:
City of San José, Environmental Services Department
Integrated Waste Management
200 East Santa Clara Street 10th Floor
San Jose', CA 95113-1905
Office and voicemail: (408)975-2508
Fax: (408) 2926211
- Joan Edwards: Consultant, J. Edwards & Associates. Specializes in
J. Edwards & Associates
10840 Charnock Road
Los Angeles, CA 90034
J. Edwards & Associates Construction and Demolition Ordinances presentation: http://www.usgbc.org/Chapters/LosAngeles/Docs/MGBCE_EdwardsJoan.pdf
- Jack Ezekiel: Senior Transportation Engineer, California Department
- Constance Hornig: Lawyer, Law Offices, Hornig@MSWesq.com
- Kelly Ingalls: Regional Director, Construction Materials Recycling
Association (CMRA) of Southern California, Nonprofit Organization,
For downloadable presentation on C&D Diversion, email@example.com
- Berger Jostad: President for Viking Demolition, & National Association of
Demolition-Southern California Chapter
- Jim Merid: Recycling Coordinator, City of Aliso Viejo, Orange County
- Fairlight Newman: Recycling and Resource Recovery Specialist, County of
Monterey, Health Department
firstname.lastname@example.org (C&D hauler franchise language)
- Wendy Sommer: Senior Program Manager, Alameda County Waste Management
- Mary Goytia Strauss: Senior Management Analyst, City of La Cañada
(818) 790-8882 (using language in C&D hauler contract to create incentives for C&D debris recovery.)
- William Worrell: Representative for Regional Agency in San Luis Obispo area
and Manager for the San Luis Obispo County Integrated Waste Management
Authority, 870 Oso Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Below are useful websites related to C&D diversion.
The following websites refer to specific C&D information such as definitions, databases, and ordinances.
- C&D recycling. Information provided includes
- Publications (e.g., case studies, fact sheets)
- What is C&D waste?
- Recycled building products
- Sustainable building
- "Construction and Demolition Debris" or "C&D Debris": CalRecycle definition in Construction, Demolition, and Inerts (CDI) regulations
- C&D Waste and Inert Debris Disposal Regulations (CalRecycle)
- Construction and Demolition Draft Recycling Policy (City of San Diego)
- Construction and Demolition links (CalRecycle)
- C&D Recycling Facilities Database A statewide construction and demolition recycling facilities database.
- Model C&D Ordinance (Alameda County)
- Model C&D Diversion Specifications (CalRecycle)
- Model C&D Diversion Ordinance (CalRecycle) Model C&D diversion ordinance
- Model Ordinance Board meeting (agenda item no. 13)
- C&D Diversion Ordinances
The following websites refer to individual jurisdiction sites that contain good C&D information.
- Alameda County Waste Management Authority
- City of Los Angeles Bureau of Sanitation for all diversion programs.
- City of Los Angeles Debris process rates approved by City of Los Angeles.
- City of Los Angeles Debris Recycling Guide.
- City of Oakland’s Guideline and Rating Systems
- City of Oakland's Waste Reduction and Recycling Plan
- City of Oxnard Solid Waste Division
- City of San Jose’s Environmental Services Certified facilities and deconstruction, recovery, and reuse listings.
- San Luis Obispo Integrated Waste Management Authority
- San Mateo County Ordinance
The following websites refer to green building information.
- Green Building Design and Construction website (CalRecycle)
- Green Building Guidelines
- Green Building Specifications
- Santa Monica Green Building Case Study
- U.S. Green Building Council
The following websites refer to various organizations, bills, and out-of-state sites that contain C&D information.
- CRRA: California Resource Recovery Association’s Technical Council Construction and Demolition Council
This website includes a Community Waste Prevention toolkit with fact
sheets that describe strategies to reduce waste and prevent pollution
during building construction, renovation, and demolition. The fact
sheets are designed for:
- Local government
- Architects and designers, facility managers, and real estate developers
- Construction and demolition contractors
- King County in Washington State
- Minnesota Office of Environmental Assistance
- Local assistance staff representative (CalRecycle)
- Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) Land Quality
- Senate Bill 1374
- The Triangle Council of Governments in North Carolina
- U.S. EPA The U.S. EPA's C&D debris website provides information and links to extensive resources and organizations covering the characterization, reduction, reuse, recycling, and management of C&D debris.
Below are useful publications related to C&D diversion.
- City of Atascadero Sample Language to present Model Ordinance to City Council (Adobe PDF, 37 KB)
- City of San Diego Draft C&D Policy
- CalRecycle Workshop on Construction and Waste Demolition Ordinances Transcript (Adobe PDF). The workshop transcripts (Adobe PDF, 1.3 MB) and the July 8 C & D Workshop audio files (Windows Media Audio, 32 KB/sec, 3:14 hours) are available.
- Model Deconstruction Policy (Minnesota)
- Monterey Unincorporated Sample Diversion Incentive Language (Adobe PDF, 130 KB)
Publication: C&D Recycling Plans and Policies- A Model for Local Government
Recycling and Waste Reduction (Adobe
PDF, 138 KB,
Word, 125 KB)
This document offers tools and strategies for C&D plans, case studies, as well as a wealth of additional references for Local Government C&D recycling and waste reduction, including an extensive list of contacts on the last page.
- Sample Contractual Language for Rebate Incentive for C&D Haulers (Adobe PDF, 37 KB)
- Sample Language for City Council. Sample document for the City of Atascadero (Adobe PDF, 37 KB) (provided by San Luis Obispo County), recommending adoption of their C&D Ordinance to their City Council.
- Sample language for a recycling guide. San Luis Obispo Recycling Guide for C&D materials. (Word, 101 KB)
- San Jose “Certified Facility List”
- San Jose Certified Facilities Process
- San Luis Obispo County WMP Example (Adobe PDF, 57 KB)
If you need help with your ordinance or this web page. Please feel free to contact Diana Suarez-Arguelles for help with your ordinance or for further information about this web page. Use “C&D Diversion Information Page” for the subject heading, so that your e-mail is properly directed. Alternatively, contact your local assistance staff representative.
Local Government Library http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/LGCentral/Library/