Organic Materials Management
(Note: Prior to Jan. 1, 2010, programs that are now part of the California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery, or CalRecycle, were overseen by the California Integrated Waste Management Board.)
- Public Workshops: Concepts for a Statewide Waiver of WDRs with Conditions for Compost Facilities. The State Water Resources Control Board (Water Board) hosted two informal workshops, on Aug. 31 (Southern California) and Sept. 1, 2011 (Northern California), to discuss proposed concepts for a draft waiver of waste discharge requirements with conditions for facilities that compost waste. The topic was not application of composted materials.
- Public Workshop: Regulation of Composting Facilities--Conditional Waiver of Waste Discharge Requirements. An Aug.17, 2009, workshop was held in Sacramento on the regulation of composting facilities and conditional waiver of Waste Discharge Requirements. The goal of the workshop was to begin the process of developing a statewide waiver with substantive conditions that would address water quality protection at composting facilities that currently exist or may be constructed.
- March 30, 2010, Slope Stabilization, Fire-Ravaged Lands, and Water Management Workshop. CalRecycle co-funded this project to gather data and information on how various compost applications benefit slope stabilization, water infiltration, and water holding capacity of disturbed soils.
- Erosion Control Workshops (Years 2006-2009). In 2006 and 2007, CalRecycle and the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) focused on new special provisions using compost to improve roadside vegetation and reduce erosion. In 2008 and 2009, CIWMB and local governments focused on municipal adoption of Caltrans special provisions for using compost to improve vegetation establishment and reduce erosion. Information on other past Erosion Control Workshops can be found on this page as well.
- July 28 and Aug.13, 2009, Stakeholder Workshops. Strategic Directive 8.3—Alternative Daily Cover, Food Waste Composting, and Anaerobic Digestion. Stakeholders and CalRecycle staff discussed two draft papers on alternative daily cover and food waste composting and a guidance document on anaerobic digestion. The workshops were held to begin implementing Strategic Directive 8.3, which requires an ongoing review and analysis of regulations in light of current science, market issues, and applicable technologies. A discussion and request for direction on the revised papers that incorporate public comments were presented to CalRecycle's Strategic Policy Development Committee on Oct. 6, 2009 and at the Oct.14, 2009 CalRecycle meeting.
- June 15, 2009, Economic Incentives Workshop. Stakeholders and Board staff exchanged information about existing and potential economic incentives for the purpose of increasing diversion of material from California’s landfills.
- April 16 and April 23, 2008, Barriers to Siting Organic Diversion Facilities Workshops. Stakeholders and CalRecycle staff collaborated on identifying barriers to siting organic diversion facilities in order to help reduce or eliminate those barriers.
- Oct.10, 2007, Organics Summit. A collaborative exchange of ideas heard at the Strategic Policy Development Committee between CalRecycle staff and stakeholders to develop a common understanding and plan for the future about compostable and cellulosic organic materials.
- Dec. 8, 2004, Food Waste Diversion at Large Public Venues Workshop. Stakeholders and CalRecycle staff shared information about successful large venue food waste diversion programs.
- Oct. 22-Oct. 23, 2002, Food Diversion Summit. Stakeholders and CalRecycle staff discussed and shared information about challenges and possible solutions to increase food diversion.
For more information on future CalRecycle workshops and events, contact Elena Yates.
Organic Materials Management http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Organics/