At-Store Recycling Program
The following resources have been complied to assist an operator with the development and implementation of a compliant program.
Characterization Study to Determine the Plastic Carryout Bag Comingled Recycling Rates--Results of a study conducted by California State University at Sacramento for CalRecycle to estimate a commingled recycling rate for the At-Store Recycling Program and to conduct a plastic carryout bag characterization study. (Adobe PDF, 650 KB)
- Local Assistance and Market Development Division--To request CalRecycle assistance with recycling market development and ordinances for your area, contact the Local Assistance and Market Development staff.
- Waste Prevention Information Exchange-Plastics--For more information about plastic carryout bag and film recycling, the Waste Prevention Information Exchange is an industry resource providing links to material comparisons, recycling locations, and plastic markets.
- American Chemistry Council-Plastic Bag Recycling--The American Chemistry Council is a trade association for the United States plastics industry. They represent large plastic manufacturers and have developed a toolkit and website to assist retailers in facilitating plastic bag recycling programs.
- Bay Area Outreach Recycling Coalition-Bring Your Own Bag--The Bay Area Recycling Coalition has developed a successful outreach program promoting the use of reusable bags. For additional information on this outreach efforts go to the BYOBag campaign website.
- City of Los Angeles--The City of Los Angeles has developed a number of local resources for recycling plastic bags for the public, retailers, and schools. A plastics website has been developed so that the public and retailers can download useful information about plastic bag recycling. A toolkit for retailers with signage is available for download on the Web site. For more information on the city's program, contact Lupe Vela at (213) 485-2997 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Earth911-Plastic Bags--Earth911 is a national organization providing local recycling information to the general public. Earth911’s “Plastic Bags” section provides information on plastic bag recycling including drop-off locations, the benefits of recycling plastic bags, and tips on reuse. For more information, the hotline is 1-800-CLEANUP.
Plastic Recycling http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Plastics/