Packaging Materials Management
- The draft agenda for CalRecycle’s 3/22/17 Packaging Reform Workshop is now posted. All workshop materials, including instructions for remote participation, will be posted here once they are available.
- Save-the-Date: CalRecycle Packaging Reform Workshop, 3/22/17 from 9:30am-4:00pm at Cal/EPA Headquarters in Sacramento, CA. The purpose of this workshop is to generate discussion and gather stakeholder ideas to contribute to the development of a policy model as directed by Director Smithline at CalRecycle’s September 2016 public meeting. The policy model will describe a comprehensive, mandatory approach for the management of packaging materials. Details will be shared here and via CalRecycle’s 75 percent listserv.
- On September 20, 2016, Director Smithline approved staff recommendations to pursue development of a comprehensive, statewide, mandatory packaging policy model guided by an extensive stakeholder process and explore two complementary, individual voluntary efforts.
CalRecycle estimates that packaging represents about one quarter of California's total disposal stream, therefore, its reduction and recovery play an important role in helping to achieve the statewide policy goal of not less than 75 percent of solid waste generated be source reduced, recycled, or composted by the year 2020. The department has focused efforts since 2012 by engaging all stakeholders to identify and explore opportunities relative to packaging as one part of a comprehensive set of strategies to reach the statewide 75 percent goal. This site contains information about 75 Percent Initiative packaging-related activities.
This site also contains information about packaging-related programs that the department implements, such as the Beverage Container Recycling Program and the Rigid Plastic Packaging Container Program as additional mechanisms to encourage the recovery of these materials.
CalRecycle Packaging-Related Programs
- Rigid Plastic Packaging Container Program
- At-Store Recycling Program: Plastic Carryout Bags
- Plastic Carryout Bag Ban
- Recycled-Content Trash Bag Program
- Mandatory Commercial Recycling Program
- Beverage Container Recycling Program
- Hospital Blue Wrap Collection
Packaging Waste Reduction, http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/ReduceWaste/Packaging/
Contact: (916) 341-6449