Packaging Materials Management
- CalRecycle staff draft notes (PDF, 711 KB) from the Manufacturers Challenge workshop are now available. Please provide any requested corrections to Cynthia Dunn at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 18, 2016.
- CalRecycle staff anticipates bringing next steps/recommendations to the Director publicly in the spring/summer 2016 timeframe. Details will be shared in advance here and via CalRecycle’s 75 percent listserv.
- Manufacturers Challenge workshop recordings posted here.
CalRecycle estimates that packaging represents about one quarter of California's total disposal stream, therefore, its reduction and recovery play an important role in helping to achieve the statewide policy goal of not less than 75 percent of solid waste generated be source reduced, recycled, or composted by the year 2020. The department has focused efforts since 2012 by engaging all stakeholders to identify and explore opportunities relative to packaging as one part of a comprehensive set of strategies to reach the statewide 75 percent goal. This site contains information about 75 Percent Initiative packaging-related activities, such as the Manufacturers Challenge.
This site also contains information about packaging-related programs that the department implements, such as the Beverage Container Recycling Program and the Rigid Plastic Packaging Container Program as additional mechanisms to encourage the recovery of these materials.
CalRecycle Packaging-Related Programs
- Rigid Plastic Packaging Container Program
- At-Store Recycling Program: Plastic Carryout Bags
- Plastic Carryout Bag Ban
- Recycled-Content Trash Bag Program
- Mandatory Commercial Recycling Program
- Beverage Container Recycling Program
- Hospital Blue Wrap Collection
Packaging Waste Reduction, http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/ReduceWaste/Packaging/
Contact: (916) 341-6449