Packaging Waste Reduction
Efficient Transport Packaging and Distribution Systems
Product manufacturers can potentially save money in two ways: (1) by working with their suppliers to reduce waste of incoming packaging, and (2) by reducing the waste of their own outgoing products. Product manufacturers have many resources available to help them choose an efficient transport packaging and distribution system. Packaging suppliers and consultants can help improve your current system or develop a new one. Some other product manufacturers have developed guidelines that might help their fellow packaging users.
This is not a comprehensive list. As this site develops, more product manufacturers that use efficient packaging and distribution systems will be added.
- Hewlett-Packard (HP)--Guideline for Environmentally Responsible Packaging
See also Case Studies
Packaging Suppliers and Consultants
- Amatech--returnable packaging
- Buckhorn--returnable packaging
- Chep--international pallet and container pooling company servicing
- DDL Package Testing Services--Full service testing laboratory specializing in medical device package testing, Hazmat and materials testing services.
- FP International--manufacturer of interior packaging products
- Monoflo International--returnable stacking containers
- ORBIS--reusable shipping containers
- Packaging USA--News relevant to all levels of the packaging, paper, and plastics industries.
- Remcon Plastics--reusable shipping containers
- Stratis Plastic Pallets--recyclable, reusable and durable plastic pallets, Stratis PAK plastic containers and Stratis sleeves.
- Tharco--corrugated boxes, and foam cushioning plastics
- Westpak, Inc--full service package engineering and development
See also Design and Logistics
- CLM (Council of Logistics Management) -- A professional business organization of individuals throughout the world who have interests and/or responsibilities in logistics and the related functions that make up the logistics profession.
- Flexible Packaging Association -- In this Web site you will see why good things come in less packaging. Flexible packaging is used by virtually every industry to protect and preserve its products.
- Food & Drug Packaging -- The source for late-breaking news and useful product information. Web site also helps you keep current on new packages, regulatory and environmental issues, important trade shows and events and supplier news.
- Institute of Packaging -- The professional body for the packaging industry aims to advance public education in and to improve the technology of packaging in all its aspects in particular by advancing the education and training of persons engaged in or interested in the occupation of packaging.
- IoPP (Institute of Packaging Professionals) -- All members have subscribed to the code of ethics, declare that consulting is their primary profession, and are screened by members.
- ISTA (International Safe Transit Association) -- This association for transport packaging is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting its membership in developing effective packaging, methods, and logistics systems. This site includes a great list of related links and certified laboratories that test packaging.
- Minnesota Office of Environmental Assistance -- their web page on "Efficient Transport Packaging Options" includes directories, fact sheets and manuals.
- Reusable Packaging Association -- is a trade association of leading manufacturers, poolers, distributors, retailers, educators, and others with a commitment to reusable packaging systems and the message of re-use.
- WERC (Warehousing Education and Research Council) is an international professional association that provides its members with the latest information available on warehousing and distribution trends, issues and potential concerns.
Reusable Container Manufacturers
- Buckhorn Canada, Inc.--Reusable plastic packaging containers.
- Meese Orbitron Dunne Co.--Manufacturer of various types of material handling equipment.
- Rehrig Pacific Company--Container, pallets, and more.
- Use Reusables This free program has helped hundreds of Alameda County companies implement new or improved recycling and composting programs, identify process improvements that conserve materials and energy, and alter purchasing practices to include environmentally preferable products.
- Waste Prevention Info Exchange. Here you can search for articles, reports, and other materials covering waste prevention (source reduction) related topics.
Do you have information or educational materials that may assist others? Write us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Cycle us some of your info so we can share it with others!
The identification of individuals, companies, and products in this Web site does not constitute endorsement by the Integrated Waste Management Board and is provided for informational purposes only.
Packaging Waste Reduction, http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/ReduceWaste/Packaging/
Business Assistance BzAssist@calrecycle.ca.gov