School District Diversion Report 2000
The School District Diversion (SDD) Project was initiated in response to Public Resources Code section 42620-42622 which requires the CIWMB (now known as CalRecycle) to implement a waste reduction program for school districts. This includes the development of a model waste reduction program, training and ongoing assistance, and information on programs for other states and institutions. This project was also developed to assist local jurisdictions in meeting solid waste diversion goals by addressing the nonresidential sector of their waste stream, specifically institutional settings such as school districts.
This project was driven by three principal objectives:
- Develop a model methodology by which school districts can achieve maximum waste reduction through waste prevention, reuse, composting, and recycling.
- Identify factors and benefits essential to institutionalizing waste reduction programs in school districts.
- Strengthen the relationships and support provided to school districts by local jurisdictions and the CIWMB.
The project began in June 2000 and was completed in November 2001. The final report and findings were presented as a discussion item at the Board meeting on November 13-14, 2001. The original School District Diversion Report 2000 has been reformatted for this website. Visit the CalRecycle online publication guide to download and obtain more information on the School District Diversion Project Final Report in original format. If you have any questions about this project or the report, please email lamd@CalRecycle.ca.gov or call (916) 341-6199.
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Project Description
- Pilot District Findings
- Lessons Learned From the Pilot Districts
- Recommended Strategy for Waste Reduction in School Districts Statewide
- Applying the School District Model to Other Institutional Settings Statewide
- Monitoring Implementation Progress
- Vision Statement
- Project Team
- Project Resource Committee
- Pilot District Waste Assessment Reports
- Food Service Alternatives in School Districts
- Model Board of Education Waste Reduction Resolution and Environmental Purchasing Policy
- Sample Letter to Vendors
- Training Plan
- Outreach Plan
- Model Waste Assessment Methodology