California is faced with the significant challenge of diverting or safely managing more than 40 million reusable and waste tires generated each year. It is estimated that fewer than 50,000 waste tires remain in stockpiles throughout California. These stockpiles pose a potential threat to public health, safety, and the environment.
The California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) is mandated to regulate and manage waste tires within the state. The Legislature recognized the need for waste tire management and passed the California Tire Recycling Act in 1989. To further strengthen waste tire management, the Legislature passed Senate Bill (SB) 876 in 2000 to augment the California Tire Recycling Act. For more information, read the Overview of Tire Management in California.
- How to...
- Permits & Compliance
- Grants & Loans
News & Activities...
- Register now to attend upcoming hauler and manifest training.
- New video now available: Waste Tire Hauler Registration Process Explained (Windows Media Video, 5.64 Mbps, 7 min., 46 sec. | YouTube) | Transcript (PDF, 317 KB)
- On January 7, 2015, join CalRecycle for an online webinar to learn about the revised Waste Tire Storage, Permit, and Penalty Criteria Regulations that recently took effect on October 29, 2014.
- View the newly revised (August 2014) California Tire Derived Product Catalog.
- On January 1, 2013, a new process began for informal hearings for tire enforcement and permit denials, revocations, and suspensions.
- Baled Waste Tire Requirements: See September 2011 bulletin on permitting, storage and handling requirements (PDF, 427 KB).
- Please visit the Green Roads Web site for more information on Recycled Asphalt Concrete and Tire Derived Aggregate as cost-effective and high performing paving and construction alternatives.
- Just Check It Campaign Underway... In an effort to encourage Californians to maintain proper air pressure in their tires and monitor tread depth, CalRecycle has launched the Just Check It campaign.
- The latest five year plan, covering fiscal years 2013/14-2017/18, has been approved.
- Subscribe to our listserv for e-mail notification of program updates!