Recycled-Content Trash Bags
Recycled-Content Trash Bag Program
Compliance list for 2011 plastic trash bag reporting period is available.
The California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) monitors the provisions of Public Resources Code with respect to plastic trash bag mandates. Manufacturers and wholesalers selling plastic trash bags in California must meet these mandates annually. Manufacturers and wholesalers who fail to comply are considered noncompliant. Noncompliant companies are ineligible for the award of any State contract or subcontract, or for the renewal, extension, or modification of an existing contract or subcontract for goods or services until CalRecycle determines it is in compliance with the statutory and regulatory requirements of the plastic trash bag law.
Plastic Trash Bag Manufacturers
Must annually certify their compliance by either responding to CalRecycle’s annual certification request or by independently submitting their certification documentation to CalRecycle before March 1 each year. Manufacturers selling regulated plastic trash bags (thickness of 0.7 mil or greater) are required to meet either one of the following:
- Plastic trash bags contain a quantity of plastic postconsumer material (RPPCM) equal to at least 10 percent of the weight of the regulated bags; or
- At least 30 percent of the weight of material used in all of its plastic products is RPPCM.
Must annually certify their compliance by either responding to CalRecycle’s annual certification request or by independently submitting their certification documentation to CalRecycle before March 1each year. California Code of Regulations (CCR) section 17979.5 requires the documentation to include:
- Your company name, headquarters mailing address, telephone number and contact person, and every physical address from which regulated plastic trash bags were shipped.
- The number of regulated plastic trash bags and the tons of regulated plastic trash bags shipped from each physical location which were intended for sale or distribution or sold in California during the reporting period.
- A list of each manufacturer and each wholesaler from whom you purchased regulated plastic trash bags during the reporting period.
Please note that the 2011 certification reports are due by March 1, 2012! You can mail, email, or fax your certification to the following addresses and fax number:
Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery
Attn: Plastic Trash Bag Certification Program, MS 10-17-A
P.O. Box 4025
Sacramento, CA 95812-4025
FAX: (916) 319-7251
- Manufacturer Certification (CIWMB 57): Excel, 105 KB | PDF, 31 KB
- Wholesaler Certification (CIWMB 58): Excel, 30 KB | PDF, 20 KB
Assistance for Manufacturers
The following is excerpted from the regulations pertaining to this program, Chapter 4. Resource Conservation Programs, Article 5. Recycled Content Trash Bag Program, which can be viewed in their entirety on our site.
17980.5. What If I Determine During A Reporting Period That I Can Not Meet the Recycled Plastic Postconsumer Material (RPPCM) Content Requirements?
(a) I am a manufacturer of regulated trash bags. Will CalRecycle provide me with any assistance if I determine, during a reporting period, that I may not or cannot meet the RPPCM content requirement?
If at any time during a reporting period, you determine you may not meet the RPPCM content requirement, you must contact CalRecycle within ten (10) calendar days of making the determination. CalRecycle encourages you to utilize the online directory of Plastic Recyclers and Brokers for possible additional sources of RPPCM that you may not have already contacted in your efforts to obtain RPPCM for use in the manufacture of your regulated plastic trash bags.
Suppliers of RPPCM: I am a supplier of RPPCM who has sold material to a manufacturer of regulated plastic trash bags who is required to comply with these regulations. What must I do to comply with these regulations?
To comply with these regulations, you must:
- Provide each regulated trash bag manufacturer with a statement identifying the quantity and proximate prior usage of the RPPCM sold for use in the regulated trash bags; and
- Provide information regarding the actual postconsumer content (APCM) of the RPPCM sold to the manufacturer for use in the regulated trash bags; and
- Provide any other information required of the manufacturer by the Board for the purposes of inclusion in the annual certification to CalRecycle.
Compliant and Noncompliant Companies
Plastic trash bag manufacturers that did not met the minimum RPPCM content requirements and companies that did not submit complete certifications to CalRecycle are noncompliant. California Code of Regulations section 17985(b) requires CalRecycle to publish the list of noncompliant manufacturers and wholesalers. The list is posted to CalRecycle’s website and transmitted to the Department of General Services and state and local procurement officers.
The summary list of compliance and noncompliant manufacturers and wholesalers is based on certifications received by CalRecycle for the 2010 reporting period.
Recycled-Content Trash Bag Program: http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/BuyRecycled/TrashBags/
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (916) 341-6717