CalRecycle/Division of Recycling
Beverage Container Recycling Program
801 K Street, MS 15-59
Sacramento, CA 95814-3533
Before mailing your application, make sure you have done the following:
- Attended the Precertification Training, passed the exam, and obtained a voucher.
- Completed all items on the application form.
- Enclosed all required supporting documents with the applications.
- Provided the appropriate original signature(s) and initials on the application form.
Be sure you read and understand the Requirements of Certified Operators.
The Application Process
- CalRecycle has 30 working days to initially review your application.
- If your application is found to be incomplete, you will be sent a letter telling you what is needed to complete your application.
- If your application is complete when received, or completed after notification, CalRecycle has an additional 60 calendar days to further review your application and to conduct any on-site program reviews as necessary. If you have never been certified by the Division, a program review is required.
- Upon approval of your application, CalRecycle will mail a notification of approval along with your certificate showing the certification number and expiration date and an operating manual. Operators of recycling centers will later be sent a sign or decal that identifies them to the public as a certified operator.
For Recycling Centers and Processors:
- It is important to consider this review schedule because you cannot act as a certified operator until your application is approved.
- Once your application is approved, you are required to begin operating within 60 calendar days or the certification number will become invalid and you will have to reapply.
- Within five (5) days of the date you began operations, you must notify the Division of the actual date you began operations by submitting a completed Operational Date Notification.
- Certification Application for Recycling Centers & Processors (CalRecycle 770)
Community Service and Collection Programs
Some details for applying as a Community Service or Collection Program may differ from those outlined above for Recyclers and Processors.