- Handling Fee Guidelines: Information for recyclers about applying to receive handling fee payments (revised July 2015).
This page provides information on handling fees: what is a handling fee, what purpose do they serve, and how may a recycler be eligible for handling fee payments?
Handling fees are a subsidy from CalRecycle to convenience zone recyclers and are derived from the fund. These monies are derived from unredeemed containers, not the public trust. Handling fees are designed to subsidize convenience zone-based recyclers to promote a wider geographic dispersal than would be possible if unassisted. A recycler may be eligible for handling fees if the following conditions are met based on PRC 14514.7 and PRC 14525.5.1, including, but not limited to:
- The recycler is certified and redeems all CRV container types.
- The recycler is the only recycler in a convenience zone.
- The convenience zone in which the recycler is located has active status.
- If the recycler is a for-profit business and operating in an urban area, the recycler must be located on-site, or adjacent to, a beverage dealer. This naturally includes the supermarket that defines the convenience zone.
- If the recycling center is located in a rural area or is a non-profit business, it can be located anywhere inside the convenience zones.
- The recycler accurately completes the shipping forms to IKON, as required by CalRecycle.
- The recycling center accurately completes the monthly handling fee applications using the DORIIS portal, as required by CalRecycle.
For a more in-depth description of handling fees and qualification requirements, please read the following information:
For questions regarding Handling Fee Eligibility, please contact Convenience Zone Unit staff at HFSiteEligibility@CalRecycle.ca.gov or (916) 322-2231.
For information on the Handling Fee Payment Process or for questions regarding the status of a Handling Fee Claim, please contact Convenience Zone Unit staff at HFPaymentStatus@CalRecycle.ca.gov or (916) 322-2234.
Visit the Beverage Container Recycling Program's Official Notices page for communications related to:
- Handling Fee Topics of Concern: July 1, 2008 Changes (5/21/08)
- Processing Fee and Handling Fee Cost Surveys Workshop Presentation (5/21/08)