California is the first state to require a statewide carpet recycling program designed and implemented by carpet manufacturers with CalRecycle oversight. Carpet America Recovery Effort (CARE) is the manufacturers’ stewardship organization that implements the program.
- On July 16, 2021, CalRecycle appointed Dr. Suna Bayrakal, Director of Policy and Programs at the Product Stewardship Institute, to serve on the Carpet Stewardship Program Advisory Committee.
- On June 30, 2021, CARE submitted several documents as required by statute and CalRecycle’s November 19, 2019, Request for Approval.
- On June 27, 2021, CARE responded to the Carpet Stewardship Program Advisory Committee’s recommendations regarding CARE’s draft June 30, 2021 Deliverables.
- CalRecycle solicited applications from members of the environmental community for appointment to the Carpet Stewardship Advisory Committee through June 25, 2021.
- On May 20, 2021, CARE submitted its California Carpet Stewardship Program Model Team Report, which CARE is required to update every six months pursuant to CalRecycle’s October 16, 2018, Request for Approval.
Where Do I Recycle Carpet?
Ask your retailer about recycling options or search for the nearest recycling center with one of these search tools. Carpet must be free of debris and contamination in order to be recycled. Call ahead to ensure the recycling center is open and accepts your carpet type.