- California state agencies: Check the Buying Green Guide for Buyers (maintained by the Department of General Services Procurement Division)
- The Responsible Purchasing Network conducts webinars and lists events.
In California, the Department of General Services, Procurement Division, serves as the lead agency for EPP by and for state government. As noted above, State Agencies should check DGS’s Buying Green Guide. Beyond this, much purchasing in California occurs outside of state government that directly impacts overall state waste generation and market development. Thus this site also explores the array of innovative programs and resources found elsewhere as well.
EPP is the procurement of goods and services that have a reduced impact on human health and the environment compared to competing products serving the same purpose. It is an essential part of our search for high quality products and services at competitive prices.
EPP requires consideration of numerous environmental considerations, including:
- Postconsumer recycled content
- Energy efficiency
- Low/zero air emissions
- Low/zero hazardous substances
- Water efficiency
- Easy, nonhazardous maintenance
- End-of-life management keeps materials out of landfills (e.g., reuse, recycling, return to manufacturers)
- Low life-cycle cost
- Responsible manufacturing
- Packaging and distribution efficiency
From copy paper to cleaners, automotive fluids to printing services, every product purchased, and even the way you travel, can have an impact on human health and the environment. To reduce the quantity and toxicity of waste in California, State law requires State agencies and other public entities to purchase environmentally preferable products that consider a range of attributes, including if the product is repairable, durable, made with recycled content, and can be recycled again. Check
News and Events
The following links provide access to news and upcoming events related to environmentally preferable purchasing.
- Buying Green Events: The California Department of General Services maintains a list of EPP educational events. Check here to learn about training opportunities for state purchasers. The list of archived events provides access to events hosted by a variety of organizations.
- Responsible Purchasing Network: Posts events related to EPP and hosts webinars to advance EPP.
- Western Regional States Pollution Prevention Network (WSPPN): Conducts an annual conference and hosts numerous webinars and other events, many pertaining to EPP.
In California state government the Department of General Services serves as the lead for environmentally preferable purchasing (EPP).