Evaluate Life Cycle Impacts Associated with Products
At the December 15, 2009 Board Meeting, the California Integrated Waste Management Board approved scopes of works and contracts for a research project with the University of California, Berkeley and University of California, Santa Barbara. This project supports the Board’s responsibilities under the California Air Resources Board Climate Change Scoping Plan.
The primary objectives of the contracts are to:
- Develop several approaches to analyze products that are scientifically-based and incorporates product life cycle data, along with economic and social impacts;
- Prepare case studies for selected products to understand the potential benefits of a product stewardship approach, including changes in GHG emissions and other environmental, economic, and social impacts; and
- Provide California-specific guidelines for determining if and when a product purchased with recycled content has reduced associated GHG emissions as compared to a similar product made from virgin materials.
- Agenda Item 1 | Resolution 2009-151 (Draft) and Resolution 2009-152 (Draft)
- Agenda Attachment 1: Scope of Work, University of California, Berkeley, Extended Producer Responsibility Evaluation of Greenhouse Gas Emissions Associated With Products.
- Agenda Attachment 2: Scope of Work, University of California, Santa Barbara, Extended Producer Responsibility Evaluation of Greenhouse Gas Emissions Associated With Products.