Under the Electronic Waste Recycling Act, manufacturers of Covered Electronic Devices (CED) are required to annually report specific information on their covered devices. Manufacturers who must report are those whose brand-named devices are sold in California in the reporting year. Under the Act, all CEDs were required to be labeled with the manufacturer's name or brand as of January 1, 2005.
The manufacturer report is due on or before July 1 of each year, covering the previous calendar year. The California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) has guidance and a 2005 summary report available through its Publications website. Updated reporting template forms, revised in January 2020, are available to assist in complying with regulations:
- CalRecycle 242B: This form is for manufacturer contact information and a list of brands sold in California that include CEDs.
- CalRecycle 242M: This form is for required reporting information on CEDs sold in California. A separate form 242M is required for each brand.
- CalRecycle 242 Instructions
Report Content Requirements
- General Information.
- Sales Data.
- Material Reporting.
- Recyclable Content.
- Design for Recycling.
- List of Retailers Notified.
- Consumer Information.
The manufacturer is responsible for the preparation of the report covering their activities, even if a “collective report” is submitted on their behalf.
Top 5 Problems with Recent Reporting
- Failure to submit.
- Reports submitted late.
- Failure to submit information by brand.
- Reports did not contain all the required information.
- Manufacturer submitted with a collective report, but did not submit the other required information, therefore report is incomplete.
Submit completed reports and supplemental documentation to:
Attention: Covered Electronic Waste Recycling Program, MS #9
1001 I Street, P.O. Box 4025
Sacramento, CA 95812-4025
For further information regarding this report:
Phone: (916) 341-6269
Acceptable formats for submitting reports:
- Email to email@example.com. Please ask for verification of receipt. Due to file size limits, large files (5 MB or larger) may not transmit via email.
- Compact disc containing the report in MS Word (preferred in order to save paper) mailed to above address.
- Hard copy mailed to above address; return receipt is suggested.
As CalRecycle, in consultation with the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), works to implement this important legislation, more information will be available through this website. Note that any guidance provided by CalRecycle should not substitute for careful reading of the original statute or subsequent regulations. Interested parties are encouraged to check back often, or subscribe to an email newsletter to be kept apprised of developments and events.