Government action plays a major role in the implementation of sustainable building. Federal, state, and local governments across the nation are moving sustainable building from a niche to a mainstream approach through a variety of innovative programs.
Department of Commerce
Department of Defense
Department of Energy (DOE)
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Green Building
- Green Communities Program
- Environmentally Preferable Purchasing Program
- ENERGY STAR Program (in partnership with the DOE)
Office of the Federal Environmental Executive
State Sustainable Building Programs
- Sustainable Building Task Force- Previous efforts, superseded by the Green Action Team.
- Capitol Area East End Complex: A showcase project
- CalRecyle Green Building Program