Note: Some "environmentally preferable products" and some "green products" might not be safe for people and the environment in all situations and uses. To our knowledge, there is no enforceable standard by which such products must be produced or formulated.
CalRecycle Programs and Services
- Sample Environmentally Preferable Purchasing Policy
- Buy Recycled Resources. From CalRecycle's Buy Recycled Program.
- Environmentally Preferable Purchasing. CalRecycle's EPP home.
- Recycled Content Product Directory and RecycleStore. You are not closing the loop unless you also are buying recycled-content products. (For an explanation of the difference between the Recycled Content Product Directory and RecycleStore, see the Business Waste Reduction Resources Index.)
- Extended Producer Responsibility
- CalRecycle Publications. CalRecycle has publications on this topic that you can find in either our Publications catalog or our main search page. However, not all of these publications apply to "waste prevention" in the most literal use of the term.
Identification of individuals, companies, or organizations on this list does not constitute endorsement by CalRecycle. This list should not be considered comprehensive.
- EPP Best Practices Manual. This guide will help you select products that offer best value, not only in terms of cost and performance, but for the health of fellow employees and our environment ... and our families.
- Consorta. A group purchasing and resource management company.
- MedAssets. This group purchasing organization delivers a comprehensive array of supply management services.
- Practice Greenhealth Environmental Purchasing Page
- Premier Safety Institute. A national health care alliance of leading hospitals and healthcare systems representing more than 2,000 facilities. The Institute coordinates activities among national organizers, premier members, business units, our contracted suppliers, and the community.
- Recycline. Toothbrushes made from recycled material. The toothbrushes can be sent back to the manufacturer in a postage-paid envelope provided by the manufacturer. The returned toothbrushes are recycled into plastic lumber.
- CleanMed. An international health care conference on environmentally preferable products and green buildings.
- Northeast Recycling Council. NERC's mission is to advance an environmentally sustainable economy by promoting source and toxicity reduction, recycling, and the purchasing of environmentally preferable products and services.
- Health Care Without Harm. Information about the issues, purchase and disposal, and tools and resources of electronic waste.
- U. S. Environmental Protection Agency, Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
- The Environmentally Preferable Purchasing (EPP) Database. U.S. EPA's database makes it easier to purchase products and services with reduced environmental
impacts. The database is organized like a shopping mall with environmental information for selected products and services located within each store. The EPP Database currently includes several types of information:
- Voluntary standards and guidelines used to compare environmental preferable of products and services.
- Contract language and specifications containing environmentally preferable purchasing language.
- Other sources of information about the environmental preferable of products and services.
- The Environmentally Preferable Purchasing (EPP) Database. U.S. EPA's database makes it easier to purchase products and services with reduced environmental impacts. The database is organized like a shopping mall with environmental information for selected products and services located within each store. The EPP Database currently includes several types of information: