Questions about the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Grant Program grant application are accepted in writing only, no later than February 24, 2016. Similar or related questions may be grouped together or reworded for clarity and responded to as one question.

All questions and answers will be posted during the application period and are subject to updates. It is the applicant's responsibility to check this website for the latest information regarding this grant cycle.


  1. Can you clarify the difference between an individual applicant and a regional applicant?

    An individual applicant is a single public entity (city, county, or city and county), applying on its own behalf. The jurisdiction may have partners or subcontractors, but is the only applicant and is individually responsible for the grant. Joint Powers Authorities (JPAs) apply as an individual applicant.

    A regional applicant is comprised of two or more public entities, with a lead jurisdiction designated to act on behalf of all participating jurisdictions. The lead jurisdiction will be the grantee and will be responsible for the performance of the grant, recordkeeping and for submission of all required documentation. If a jurisdiction is a participant in a regional application, it cannot submit an individual application.

  2. What date should applicants anticipate receiving a Notice to Proceed letter upon award of a Cycle 27 grant?

    Notice to Proceed letters will be sent after CalRecycle receives and executes the Grant Agreement Cover Sheets. CalRecycle anticipates sending grant agreement packages in August 2016, after which Grantees will have 60 days to return the signed Grant Agreement Cover Sheet.

  3. If I applied for the Cycle 26 construction grant can I also apply for this Cycle 27 small projects grant?  


  4. How likely are applicants to receive grant monies--somewhat likely, not likely, or highly likely?

    Each application will be reviewed for applicant eligibility. After the close of the application period, CalRecycle staff will review the applications for project eligibility and completeness based on grant cycle criteria. Only complete applications can be considered for award. A random selection process will be conducted if the cycle is oversubscribed.

  5. Is the grant for “shovel-ready” plans or can it be determined after we are awarded for funds?

    Because this grant is for small projects, they are not required to be “shovel ready.” 

  6. Does this grant require all required permits be processed before the application period?

    This grant cycle is for small projects not major construction projects. Therefore, the permits required should be minimal and easily obtained during the grant term.


  1. Are kiosks or containers for sharps/pharmaceuticals collection an eligible expense under Cycle 27? 

    No. Sharps/pharmaceuticals, containers/kiosks, and their management and disposal costs are not eligible. 

  2. What are the eligible costs concerning disposable 1# propane cylinders? 

    Handling and disposal costs for compressed propane gas cylinders, five pound size or less, are eligible for temporary or mobile one-day or multi-day collection events.

  3. What are the eligible costs concerning marine flares?  

    For this cycle, the handling, permitting, and disposal costs for marine flares are eligible for temporary or mobile one-day or multi-day collection events.

  4. Are Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators waste and Very Small Quantity Generators waste expenses eligible for this grant?  

    No. Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators  and Very Small Quantity Generators waste expenses and activities are ineligible.

  5. Are Extended Producers Responsibility activities for PV solar panels eligible?    

    The only allowable EPR related expense for PV solar panels is for publicity and education materials. 

  6. Would the purchase of a truck for the mobile collection of HHW be an eligible expense? If so, what category would this fall under?  

    Yes. Purchasing a truck to pick up HHW items within the program is an eligible expense under “Set-up and operation of temporary or mobile collection program for one-day or multi-day collection events.”

  7. If we begin work prior to the Notice To Proceed (NTP) can we submit receipts for reimbursement after the fact?

    No. Grant-eligible program expenditures may start no earlier that the date indicated in the NTP. Any expenses incurred prior to the NTP is not eligible for reimbursement.

  8. Is funding allowed for purchasing storage/shelving for HHW collected & materials for a city yard lockup? The HHW lockup is in the city yard but it is not public, only utilized for collection of materials picked up in the public right of way.

    Yes. If the city lockup yard for storage is part of your HHW facility program.

  9. Is a canopy for our used oil staging area and coverage for our 1-yard cardboard box of latex paint an eligible expense?

    Yes, a canopy will be an eligible expense.

  10. Could the grant funds be used to purchase sharp containers to distribute to the public during HHW public education and outreach events, temporary collection events, and at permanent facilities?

    No, grant funds cannot be used to purchase sharp containers to distribute to the public. (Please refer to Question #1 under Eligibility.)

  11. Could the funds be used to dispose of compressed gas cylinders and fluorescent light tubes?

    Yes, handling and disposal costs for compressed propane gas cylinders (five pound size or less) and fluorescent light tubes are eligible only for temporary or mobile one-day or multi-day collection events.

  12. Are HHW disposal costs alone an eligible expense?

    Yes, HHW disposal costs for temporary or mobile one-day or multi-day collection events are an eligible expense except for radioactive materials, explosives, medical waste, sharps, and pharmaceuticals.  The handling, permitting and disposal costs for small propane cylinders and marine flares are eligible expenses for this cycle if they are collected during a temporary or mobile one-day or multi-day collection event.

  13. Most HHW collection facilities encounter unknown/labeled materials regularly, would an electronic handheld HHW identification/classification analyzer unit be an eligible cost?

    Yes. A HHW identification analyzer unit would be an eligible expense.

  14. Can grant funds be used to purchase 1 lb. refillable propane cylinders?

    No. Grant funds cannot be used to purchase 1lb refillable propane cylinders.

  15. Does installing an awning at an existing HHW facility fall into the minor improvements category?

    Yes. Installation of an awning is considered a minor improvement to an existing HHW facility.

  16. Would the design plans and permit costs for an awning installation be an eligible expense for HD27?

    The design plans are not an eligible expense. Permit costs are eligible if the cost occurs during the project period and is included in the budget.

  17. A city owns and makes all improvements to an HHW/Permanent facility that is located on non-government owned property, would the installation of an awning to the HHW facility be an eligible expense?

    The installation of an awning on non-governmental owned property would be an eligible expense only if the jurisdiction has a legally binding long-term commitment throughout the life of the facility and between the company/private landowner and the jurisdiction that will require the facility to be operated with an emphasis on promoting the public interest. The agreement term date must be mentioned in the application.

  18. Even though Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQGs) activities are ineligible, if we include CESQG in our program but do not claim any expenses directly related to the CESQG i.e. packaging, transport and disposal costs of any waste collected from CESQG, can we still receive grant funding and include CESQG in our program?  Also, more specifically, we want to include CESQG in our outreach message with grant funded materials but the outreach materials will also include residents.

    Yes, you may receive grant funding and outreach materials that include CESQG information as an eligible expense.

  19. Is the purchase of a fork lift and other maintenance equipment for a Permanent Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility (PHHWCF) an eligible expense?

    Yes.  A fork lift and other maintenance equipment, related to the project, are eligible expenses.

  20. We are just rebuilding our database, which serves the region with valuable information regarding waste diversion, specifically towards the zero waste hierarchy. My question is, would funding from the HHW Grant HD27 for 2016–17 be applicable for marketing, or for the management of our database? Our database provides public education for general audiences as well as businesses, and resources for all HHW needs and requirements, both for businesses and residences as well.

    If an eligible HHW project is advertised and promoted through marketing efforts as part of Public Education and Outreach, marketing costs would be eligible.  However, typical management/maintenance of a database not tied to a specific HHW project would not be eligible because it would be considered an ongoing cost to the program.

  21. Are software/application costs an eligible expense?

    No. Software/application costs are not eligible expenses.

  22. Are the laboratory testing, permitting, and disposal costs all eligible for marine flares (temporary/mobile) collection events?

  23. Yes, these costs are eligible for temporary/mobile collection events. However, the marine flare collection events should focus on flares generated from recreational or residential marine craft not business/commercial boats. 


  1. What is the total amount of funds available? How much funding could I receive?

    A total of $1,000,000 is available for Cycle 27, subject to funding availability. The maximum award amount for an individual grant is $50,000, and for a regional or JPA grant award, the maximum is $75,000.

  2. The city’s HHW Program accepts used meds, sharps, paints, cleaners, asbestos, and motor oil not only from residents but from residents located in the sewage plant’s service area. Would the city be eligible for $100,000 amount since we serve multiple jurisdictions?

    Local governments may join together in a regional grant application in which two or more eligible jurisdictions join together for the purpose of grant implementation. A Regional Lead Participant (Lead) must be designated to act on behalf of all participating jurisdictions. The Lead is the applicant/grantee who will be responsible for the performance of the grant and all required documentation. The Participating Jurisdiction(s) must provide a Letter of Authorization to the Lead. CalRecycle will direct all official correspondence and grant payments to the Lead. If a jurisdiction is a participant in a regional application, it may not apply individually.


  1. Can we submit an application both as an individual and within a Joint Powers Authority (JPA) or regional application? If not, and an applicant submits an application for both an individual and a JPA, or a regional, at what point in the process will the applicant be required to decide which application goes forward? 

    An applicant should only submit one application either as an individual or as part of a regional group or JPA. If more than one application is submitted by an applicant, it will be the applicant’s responsibility to decide which application should go forward. If the additional application(s) are not withdrawn, all applications from that entity will be disqualified, and that entity will be eliminated from any regional application of which it is a part.

  2. On the Narrative Proposal, the amount of space is limited for my responses. Is it possible to either expand the boxes to add more information or to submit additional pages?

  3. No. Response size for each section is limited to 2,500 characters and cannot be expanded. Utilizing a document form other than the official CalRecycle version, tampering with the CalRecycle version or otherwise circumventing imposed character limits will subject the applicant to disqualification from the Household Hazardous Waste Grant Program.

  4. What types of activities should applicants include on the Work Plan?

    Applicants should complete their Work Plan document by listing the grant funded major activities, steps or tasks necessary to implement and complete the proposed project. Applicants are asked to provide a logical timeframe in chronological order for all proposed grant funded activities.

  5. Is there a scoring criteria for HD27?

    There is no scoring criteria for HD27; applications will be reviewed for completeness and eligibility. If the cycle is oversubscribed with eligible applications, then a random selection process will occur.

  6. If applying as a regional lead and participating jurisdictions do not provide letters of authorization, what happens?

    The Regional Lead Participant must upload the Letter of Authorization no later than the secondary due date or the Participating Jurisdiction(s) will be removed from the application. If Letters of Authorization are not submitted with a regional application, it becomes an individual application and will be reviewed and adjusted to reflect the change.

  7. Is the General Checklist of Business Permits, Licenses and Filings form required?

    Yes. The General Checklist of Business Permits, Licenses and Filings (CalRecycle Form 669) is a required document that must be submitted as part of your application.  This document was inadvertently left off the application document section in GMS, but has been added. The General Checklist is also available on CalRecycle’s website under grant forms.

  8. The application requires an HHW site address, and the only site type available on the drop down menu is “HHW Facility”. If we are conducting temporary HHW collection events, do we just list the address where the temporary events will take place?

    Yes, list the addresses where the known temporary events will take place in the space provided for “Summary”.

  9. What is the due date for the Narrative Proposal and Work Plan template?

    The due date for the Narrative Proposal and Work Plan is March 16, 2016.

  10. If a County/Lead Participant and all participating jurisdictions have adopted an Environmentally Preferable Purchasing and Practices (EPPP) policy, they would not need to submit any EPPP Notification document?

    Yes.  If the applicant checked “Yes, our entire organization has an existing EPPP Policy” on the Detail tab of the application, they would not need to upload any EPPP Notification documentation.

  11. The city currently has a Resolution authorizing submittal of applications for all CalRecycle grants. However, the Resolution was approved in 2012 and will expire February 2017. Will another Resolution be required during the application process or during the grant term if the City is awarded?

    No.  The Resolution only needs to be in effect at the time the grant agreement is signed.  The Resolution is necessary to authorize the grantee to enter into a binding contractual agreement.  Once this is done, the grantee is bound by the terms of the grant agreement whether or not the Resolution is still in effect.

  12. A county is planning to apply for a Regional application. Our region consists of 12 jurisdictions: 1 County and 11 incorporated cities. What if do not receive Letters of Authorization from all of the incorporated cities? How does that impact the non-participating incorporated cities vs. participating cities?

    The incorporated cities that do not provide a Letter of Authorization by the secondary due date (April 19, 2016) will be removed from the application.  As a result, only the incorporated cities that provided Letters of Authorization will eligible as part of the regional application for HD27 funding.

  13. What is the due date for the HD27 application?

    The application due date for HD27 is March 16, 2016.

  14. The application is required to be submitted by March 16, 2016 and the resolution is to be uploaded by the secondary due date of April 19, 2016. The resolution will authorize the Signature Authority to delegate this authority to another. The Letter of Designation (LOD) cannot be prepared, signed, and uploaded until the Resolution granting that authority is approved. I see that to submit an application, an Application Certification must be printed and signed by the Signature Authority. Is this Application Certification then due by the secondary due date as well, after the Signature Authority has been granted? Or is it required to be uploaded by the March 16, 2016 application due date? Having the delegated sign prior the resolution being approved will be difficult.

    The Application Certification is due and must be uploaded by the application due date: March 16, 2016. You may submit the Resolution on or before March 16, however, if additional time is needed you may submit it on or before the secondary due date of April 19, 2016. The draft Resolution that is prepared for the Board will name the Signature Authority by title and it will state if he/she may delegate their authority. The person named by title in the draft Resolution should sign the Application Certification. If that person plans to delegate their authority, the designee may sign the Application Certification and a Letter of Designation is required. Once the Resolution is approved, the signatures will become valid. If the Signature Authority changes after Board approval, you must resubmit the Application Certification and Letter of Designation with the approved Resolution by the secondary due date.  

FY 2015/16 HHW Grants Home | HHW Grants Home