In January 2004, the mandates of Assembly Bill 1497 (Chapter 823, Statutes of 2003) became effective. The provisions found in AB 1497 were summarized in a letter to all LEAs from the CIWMB (now CalRecycle) Permitting and Enforcement Division. This web page was originally developed to assist LEAs with the public hearing component of AB 1497.
As a result of AB 1497 the permit implementation regulations were developed. These regulations became effective April 13, 2007 and implement additional public noticing requirements for report of facility information (RFI) amendments, modified, new (full, registration, and standardized) and revised permit applications. The regulations also establish informational meeting (hearing) requirements for new and revised full permits. To assist LEAs with the additional public noticing and informational meeting requirements, tools and templates are provided below. As other tools become available, they will be added to this page, so check back frequently for updated information.
If you have a good example of a public notice, meeting checklist, or any other tool you use that pertains to public informational meetings or noticing of RFI amendments, modified, new (full, registration or standardized) or revised permit applications, please let us know so we can add it to this collection.
- Tools and Templates for Noticing and Conducting an Informational Meeting: From the January and February 2007 Board training.
- Public Notices: This page provides access to public notices that may be of interest to our stakeholders related to solid waste facility activities.
- Examples of Public Informational Meeting Notices
- Informational Meeting Checklist: Includes information on preparing for a public meeting. Also includes information on content and delivery of presentation.
- Permit Implementation Regulations: Frequently Asked Questions: Provides answers to questions about the permit implementation regulations.
- Equipment and Supplies Checklist: Sample checklist of necessary equipment and supplies that may be needed during a public meeting.
- Legislation Implementation Guidance: The guidance includes suggested procedures, problem solving approaches, and scientific methods.
- Government Code Section on Public Hearings: Government Code Section 65091
- Permit Implementation Regulations (Title 27, Sections 21660 to 21660.4)