Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) Programs
- CalRecycle Organics Publications.
- CalRecycle Staff Directory: A staff directory for specific programs.
- The California Landscape Contractors Association: A comprehensive guide to environmentally sound landscaping practices. The Resource Recovery Handbook: Tips for an Environmentally Sensitive Green Industry is available for a nominal fee.
Books and Reports
The following is a partial list of the wide variety of books on the subjects discussed in this guide.
Water Efficient and Native Plants
- Lawns and Groundcovers, M. MacCaskey, H.P. Books, Tucson, AZ 1982
- Ornamental Grasses—The Amber Wave, C. Ottsen, 1989
- The Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses, J. Greenlee, Rodale Press, Emmaus, PA 1992
- Grasses in California, B. Crampton, University of California Press, Berkeley, CA 1974
- Hard Fescue for Minimum Maintenance, A. Harivandi, University of California Cooperative Extension, Alameda County, 1982
- Plants for Dry Climates, M.R. Duffield & W.D. Jones, H.P. Books, Tucson, AZ 1981
- California Native Trees and Shrubs, L. Leenz and J. Dourley, Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden, Claremont, CA 1981
- Trees and Shrubs for Dry California Landscapes, B. Perry, Land Design Publishing, San Dimas, CA 1981
- Landscape Plants for Western Regions, B. Perry, Land Design Publishing, San Dimas, CA 1992
- Selected Native Plants in Color, B. Coate and D. White, Saratoga Horticultural Foundation, San Martin, CA 1980
- Plants for California Landscapes, California State Department of Water Resources, 1981
- Oaks of California, B.M. Pavlik, P.C. Muick, et al, Cachuma Press, Los Olivos, CA 1991
- Complete Garden Guide to the Native Shrubs of California, G. Keator, Chronicle Books, San Francisco, CA 1993
- Complete Garden Guide to the Native Perennials of California, G. Keator, Chronicle Books, San Francisco, CA 1990
- Gardening in Dry Climates, Ortho Books, Santa Barbara, CA 1989
- Growing California Native Plants, M.G. Schmidt, University of California Press, Berkeley, CA 1980
- Waterwise Gardening, Lane Publishing Co., Menlo Park, CA 1989
- Water Conserving Plants and Landscapes for the Bay Area, East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD), Oakland, CA 1990
- Xeriscape Landscaping--Preventing Pollution and Using Resources Efficiently, United States Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Water (WH-556F), EPA-840-B-93-001, April 1993
- WOCULS--Water Use Classification of Landscape Species: A Guide to the Water Needs of Landscape Plants, L.R. Costello & K.S. Jones, University of California Cooperative Extension, San Francisco and San Mateo County Office
- Composting to Reduce the Waste Stream--A Guide to Small Scale Food and Yard Waste Composting, Northeast Regional Agricultural Engineering Service, Cooperative Extension, Ithaca, NY 1991
- Composting and Mulching: A Guide to Managing Organic Yard Wastes, C. Rosen, et al., University of Minnesota, Extension Service, St. Paul, MN 1988
- Backyard Composting--Your Complete Guide to Recycling Yard Clippings, Harmonious Technologies, Harmonious Press, Ojai, CA 1992
- Let It Rot!, S. Campbell, Storey Communications Inc, Pownal, VT
- The BioCycle Guide to the Art and Science of Composting, BioCycle Magazine, The JG Press, Emmaus, PA 1991
- Composting Operations Regulatory Requirements, Title 14 California Code of Regulations, Chapter 3.1, Section 17850, et seq.