Pursuant to the passage of Proposition 67, which upheld the statewide ban on plastic single-use carryout bags and established new requirements for reusable grocery bags, proof of certification must be provided to CalRecycle on a biennial basis (every other year). This requirement became effective beginning November 9, 2016.
A certification fee schedule for reusable grocery bag producers, as required by the law, will be developed via the rulemaking process. CalRecycle anticipates the rulemaking process will begin in the first quarter of 2018 and be finalized by the end of 2018 or early 2019. To learn more, please visit CalRecycle's SB 270 Rulemaking webpage.
Proof of Certification
The Reusable Grocery Bag Reporting System (RGBRS) was developed to facilitate online submission of reusable grocery bag proof of certification to CalRecycle. Once proof of certification has been submitted, the name, location, and contact information of the reusable grocery bag producer, along with specified bag information will be published on the Certified Reusable Grocery Bags and Producers List. The steps to complete this process are outlined below.
Follow these Steps to Submit Proof of Reusable Grocery Bag Certification:
- Create a WebPass account. WebPass accounts are created for individuals, not organizations, and will be tied to your specific email address. If you change your email address, or if it becomes inactive, you will need to create a new WebPass account to continue accessing RGBRS. Please make certain all individuals obtain their own password and do not share passwords within your organization.
- Activate your WebPass by following the instructions provided in an email after step #1 has been completed.
- Sign-in to the RGBRS using your WebPass.
- Enter in company information, types of reusable grocery bag produced, and proof of certification for each bag.
- When complete, submit your information to CalRecycle by clicking the "submit" button under the summary tab.
- You will receive an email from CalRecycle acknowledging receipt of the completed submission.
Note: WebPass accounts are created for individuals, not organizations, and will be associated with an individual’s specified email address, as entered. If you change your email address or it becomes inactive, you will need to create a new WebPass to continue accessing the RGBRS.