CalRecycle has developed customizable materials to assist jurisdictions with education and outreach campaigns for California’s Mandatory Commercial Recycling law (AB 341, Chesbro, Chapter 476, Statutes of 2011) and Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling law (AB 1826, Chesbro, Chapter 727, Statutes of 2014).
- A multi-language brochure
- A multi-language poster/flyer for schools
- A multi-language poster/flyer for businesses
- PSAs, promotional tools
It is critical that jurisdictions and haulers/service providers work together to customize these materials to reflect the program and services of the community. The items provided here include a broad scope of included materials, which may not be in your local program. Several local jurisdictions have also provided examples of their promotional materials for other jurisdictions to use (as appropriate relative to offered local programs).
If you require special accommodation to access these materials pursuant to California accessibility requirements, please contact the Office of Public Affairs at (916) 341-6300.
Flyers, Posters, and Signs/Stickers
Effective July 1, 2020, MCR and MORe regulated businesses must provide recycling and organics recycling containers at front-of-house to collect waste generated from the products purchased and consumed on the premises (AB 827, McCarty). These containers must be placed adjacent to trash containers and be visible, easily accessible, and clearly marked. Businesses and school districts may contact their local government or waste hauler for signage and assistance, or use CalRecycle’s customizable signage below.
The flyers, posters, and signs/stickers below indicate acceptable materials for each container. Each sign is fully customizable using Adobe Acrobat Pro. For detailed instructions, please consult the Instructions for Customizing Model Signage.
Adobe offers a free one-week trial available on their website. Most professional printers will also provide these editing services. To print on 8.5x11” paper, choose “Fit” when printing.
- Business Poster: Recycling and Organics Recycling Guide for Businesses (Available in English, Spanish, Mandarin, Korean, Punjabi, and Russian)
- Schools Poster: Recycling and Organics Recycling Guide for Schools (Available in English, Spanish, Mandarin, Korean, Punjabi, and Russian)
- Business Brochure: Recycling and Organics Recycling Guide for Business—trifold (Available in English, Spanish, Mandarin, Korean, Punjabi, and Russian)
- Where to Put It: Recycling, Composting, and Trash Bin Signage
All signs are available in English, Spanish, Mandarin, Russian, Korean, and Punjabi at the following hyperlinks:
- 3 container system (Gray/Blue/Green)
- 2 container systems (Gray/Blue)
- 2 container systems (Gray/Green)
- Single container system (Gray)
- Do Not Merge: Separate Your Trash (Recycling vs Landfill) Flyer. Available in 11" x 17" or 8.5" x 11"
- No Merging Sign. This file includes two 11" x 17" signs--one for trash/recyclables, and the other for trash/recyclables/compost.
- Double-Sided "What to Put in Recycling, Composting, and Trash Bins" Flyers. Three double-sided, 8.5" x 11" flyers in one file. Front of each is pictorial and includes English, Spanish, and Chinese. Reverse includes bulleted lists in English only.
- Paper Towels Only Sign/Sticker. 9" x 20" container sign/sticker with message in English, Spanish, and Chinese.
- "What to Put in Recycling, Composting, and Trash Bins" Signs. Three single-sided, 8.5" x 11" container signs in one file. English, Spanish, and Chinese on each sign.
- "What to Put in Recycling, Composting, and Trash Bins" Stickers/Signs. Three single-sided, 9" x 20" container signs/stickers in one file. English, Spanish, and Chinese on each sign.
Public Service Announcements (PSA)
PSAs can be posted online, emailed to local businesses, sent to local press for coverage, played at presentations, or submitted to local television broadcasters by contacting the station’s community affairs/public affairs/public service director.
- 1-Minute Public Service Announcement Video on Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling. YouTube (00:01:00) | PDF Transcript. This short PSA video highlights the new law, starting in 2016, that requires commercial business owners to recycle their organic waste. Customize this PSA by adding your contact information to the upper 1/3 of the screen @ 0:24-0:30 seconds (over video, above CalRecycle web information).
- 30-Second Public Service Announcement Video on Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling. YouTube (00:00:30) | PDF Transcript. This PSA video highlights the new law requiring California commercial business to recycle organic material, like yard waste, food waste and food soiled paper.
The presentations below are designed to be customized to educate audiences about the law, and to train tenants of a property about its specific recycling and composting program.
- Tenant Recycling & Compost Training. Note: Remember to adjust content consistent with local programs (e.g., what goes in recycling and composting bins).
Use this form to report if there is no recycling or composting service at your workplace or business.
Remember to adjust the content consistent with local programs (e.g., what goes in recycling and composting bins).