CalRecycle has developed a number of customizable materials to assist jurisdictions with education and outreach campaigns for California’s Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling law (AB 1826, Chesbro, Chapter 727, Statutes of 2014). These include PSAs, promotional tools, and a brochure. It is critical that jurisdictions and haulers/service providers work together to customize these materials to reflect the program and services of the community. So, for example, if the local recycling program does not accept meat, and or food soiled papers/containers, then you would not include those in your education and outreach materials. The items provided here include a broad scope of included materials, which may not be in your local program. Several local jurisdictions have also provided examples of their promotional materials for other jurisdictions to use (as appropriate relative to offered local programs).
If you require special accommodation to access these materials pursuant to California accessibility requirements, please contact the Office of Public Affairs at (916) 341-6300.
Public Service Announcements (PSA)
PSAs can be posted online, emailed to local businesses, sent to local press for coverage, played at presentations, or submitted to local television broadcasters by contacting the station’s community affairs/public affairs/public service director.
Customization. Selecting a PSA below opens a video player page. A download link (below the video on the right) allows you to save the video file and place it on your Web site, Facebook page, etc. Customization will require opening the PSA file using editing software such as Windows Movie Maker, iMovie, or one of the other software options available on line.
- 30-Second Public Service Announcement Video on Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling (MP4, 0:30 | Transcript). This short PSA video highlights the new law, starting in 2016, that requires commercial business owners to recycle their organic waste. Customize this PSA by adding your contact information to the upper 1/3 of the screen @ 0:24-0:30 seconds (over video, above CalRecycle web information).
- 1-Minute Public Service Announcement Video on Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling (MP4, 01:00 | Transcript). This PSA video highlights the new law requiring California commercial business to recycle organic material, like yard waste, food waste and food soiled paper. Customize this PSA by adding your contact information to the upper 1/3 of the screen @0:47-1:00 seconds (over video, above CalRecycle web information).
The presentations below are designed to be customized to educate audiences about the law, and to train tenants of a property about its specific recycling and composting program.
- Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling presentation
- Tenant Recycling & Compost Training. Note: Remember to adjust content consistent with local programs (e.g., what goes in recycling and composting bins).
Flyers, Posters, and Signs/Stickers
The flyers, posters, and signs/stickers below indicate acceptable materials for each container. Your local contact information can be easily added, via Adobe Acrobat Reader (the free version), by typing in the gray box at the bottom of each piece. In order to customize other parts of the flyer (e.g., to reflect what can be recycled and composted), you will need special instructions, software and files. If needed, contact your LAMD representative for more information.
- Do Not Merge: Separate Your Trash (Recycling vs Landfill) Flyer. Available in 11" x 17" or 8.5" x 11"
- No Merging Sign. This file includes two 11" x 17" signs--one for trash/recyclables, and the other for trash/recyclables/compost.
- Double-Sided "What to Put in Recycling, Composting, and Trash Bins" Flyers. Three double-sided, 8.5" x 11" flyers in one file. Front of each is pictorial and includes English, Spanish, and Chinese. Reverse includes bulleted lists in English only.
- Paper Towels Only Sign/Sticker. 9" x 20" container sign/sticker with message in English, Spanish, and Chinese.
- "What to Put in Recycling, Composting, and Trash Bins" Signs. Three single-sided, 8.5" x 11" container signs in one file. English, Spanish, and Chinese on each sign.
- "What to Put in Recycling, Composting, and Trash Bins" Stickers/Signs. Three single-sided, 9" x 20" container signs/stickers in one file. English, Spanish, and Chinese on each sign.
- Specific to schools, CalRecycle has developed a:
- Flyer to educate the school community about AB 341 and AB 1826; and
- Brochure--FAQs for Schools and Other Small-Scale Food
Use this form to report if there is no recycling or composting service at your workplace or business.
Remember to adjust the content consistent with local programs (e.g., what goes in recycling and composting bins).