This page includes information on financial assurances events from 2007 through 2010. The financial assurances events page includes information on more recent and upcoming events.
Landfill Long-Term Financial Assurances for Postclosure Maintenance, Corrective Action, and Phase II Rulemaking
The California Integrated Waste Management Board (now CalRecycle) held a number of workshops for landfill long-term financial assurances for postclosure maintenance (PCM), corrective action (CA), and Phase II Rulemaking. The process began with the 2007 Study presented to the Board in December 2007. The regulations were adopted by the Board in December 2009. Workshops and training events were held regarding implementation of these regulations. Workshops and training were also offered to provide opportunity for stakeholder input on implementation of adopted legislation (AB 274, State Solid Waste Postclosure and Corrective Action Trust Fund).
2010 Training and Workshops
- May 10: An overview of recently approved regulations or Long-term Postclosure Maintenance and Corrective Action Cost Estimates and Financial Assurance Demonstrations for Landfills (Phase 2)
- Apr. 12: Public Workshop on Solid Waste Postclosure and Corrective Action Trust Fund Legislation
- Jan. 28: Public Workshop on AB 274, State Solid Waste Postclosure and Corrective Action Trust Fund
- Sep. 17: Informal Technical Discussion on Financial Assurances Phase II Rulemaking with AB 2296 consulting group. Presentation available.
- Jul. 9: Phase II Long-Term Financial Assurances rulemaking workshop to discuss the impact of May 2009 Board direction for Phase II Regulations on closed/closing facilities.
- May 19: Board Meeting. Staff requested further direction for the Phase II Long-Term Financial Assurance Rulemaking.
- Apr. 16: A public hearing on Phase II Long-Term Financial Assurance Rulemaking.
- Feb. 11: A Phase II Long-Term Financial Assurances rulemaking workshop to discuss dealing with divestiture, and to follow-up on other pending stakeholder issues, such as the status of Pool Fund discussions.
- Jan. 12: A new Phase II Long-term Financial Assurances Workshop was held to discuss pooled fund options, dealing with divestitures, and to follow up on other pending stakeholder issues, including indemnification of local governments and the Sierra Club letter.
Staff presented the Phase II rulemaking package to proceed with the 45-day comment period to the Permitting and Compliance Committee and the Board in November 2008.
- Nov. 18: Item pulled from Board meeting agenda. Present Phase II Rulemaking package for the Board’s final approval and to proceed with 45-day comment period
- Nov. 10: Item pulled from Permitting and Compliance Committee meeting agenda. Presented Phase II Rulemaking package for the Board’s final approval and to proceed with 45-day comment period.
- Oct. 30: Phase II Rulemaking Workshop. Meeting with stakeholders that discussed the November 2008 Board action regarding the rulemaking process for the phase II regulations. Board staff's presentation from this meeting is available.
Staff conducted informal workshops to review and discuss proposed amendments to Title 27, California Code of Regulations, Division 2, Subdivision 1, Chapters 4 and 6, long-term financial assurances for postclosure maintenance and corrective actions.
The following workshops were held to continue the dialogue begun in the fall of 2007 with the AB 2296 Working Group as the Board continued the process of regulatory amendments and potential statutory authority for establishment of a statewide pooled fund.
- Aug. 4: Phase II, Rulemaking Workshop. Discussion of the direction given at July 22 Board Meeting, and continuing discussion of revised draft regulations.
- Jul. 17: Pooled Fund, Items Needing Additional Statutory Authority. Discussion to address Pooled Fund Concepts that may be authorized at the July 14, 2008 Permitting and Compliance Committee Meeting.
- Jul. 14: Permitting and Compliance Committee Meeting. Presenting item to request formal rulemaking direction to notice regulations for adoption and to pursue Pooled Fund for Postclosure and Corrective Action.
- Jun. 18: Phase II, Rulemaking Language. Discussion to address stakeholders’ concerns raised at the June 9, 2008 Permitting and Compliance Committee Meeting.
- Jun. 9: Permitting and Compliance Committee Meeting. Agenda Item to discuss Phase II regulations and request Committee direction.
- May 27: Phase II Rulemaking, New PCM, and CA Language. Discussion of conceptual regulatory language.
- May 12: Phase II, Informal Rulemaking Workshop. Discussion of proposed rulemaking.
- Apr. 28: PCM Follow-up, CA Carryover, Pooled Funds Results. Discussion of issues and concepts that weren’t addressed in the previous 3 workshops.
- Apr. 14: Corrective Action (CA) Workshop. Discussion of CA definition and proposed rulemaking and potential statutory amendments. Doug Day with the State of Minnesota presented, via teleconference, information on the Minnesota Closed Landfill Program.
- Mar. 10: Postclosure Maintenance Workshop. Discussion of a clarified definition of postclosure maintenance activities, corrective action activities and a poling of opinions regarding options for combining a Statewide Pooled Fund for postclosure maintenance costs and individual financial assurance demonstrations to the State.
- Feb. 29: Modeling Scenarios Workshop. Discussion of alternate scenarios for potential Statewide Pooled Fund.
- October and November: Closure Cost Estimate Dialogue. Dialogue with CalRecycle, USEPA, State Water Resources Control Board and local enforcement agencies about solid waste industry concerns regarding which closure costs must be included in closure cost estimates.
- October and November: Financial Assurances Contracted Study. Three workshops to receive comments on the contractor's draft report and the draft CalRecycle staff report as part of CalRecycle's study to identify potential long-term threats and financial assurance mechanisms for long-term postclosure maintenance and corrective action at solid waste landfills.