CEQA requires that, for each potentially significant impact identified in the initial study, the MND must discuss feasible measures or revisions in the proposed project made by, or agreed to by, the applicant to avoid or substantially reduce the project’s significant environmental effects.
Types of mitigation includes:
- Avoiding the impact altogether by not taking a certain action or parts of an action.
- Minimizing impacts by limiting the degree or magnitude of the action and its implementation.
- Rectifying the impact by repairing, rehabilitating, or restoring the impacted environment.
- Reducing or eliminating the impact over time by preservation and maintenance operations during the life of the action.
- Compensating for the impact by replacing or providing substitute resources or environments.
Reference: 14 CCR Section 15370