This page provides information and resources for permitting a landfill or disposal facility.
- What is a landfill?
- Which permit is needed for a landfill?
- Permit requirements unique to landfills
- Resources (regulations, advisories, tools, forms, and links)
Please note that other local, state, or federal agencies may also have regulatory authority over solid waste facilities.
What is a solid waste landfill or disposal facility?
"Solid Waste Landfill" means a disposal facility that accepts solid waste for land disposal...[More]
Which permit is required for a landfill?
All proposed or active solid waste disposal facilities (landfill) including CDI material disposal sites and waste tire monofills, are required to obtain a full solid waste facility permit to operate, unless an exemption is granted by the local enforcement agency (LEA).
Permit requirements unique to landfills:
- Landfill operation, design, and permitting requirements are contained in Title 27 of the California Code of Regulations (CCR) (rather than Title 14 for other for other types of facilities.)
- Applicants are also required to submit a copy of the application form and Report of Disposal Site Information (or Joint Technical Document) to the Regional Water Quality Control Board (RWQCB).
- Landfill operators must submit a closure and postclosure maintenance plan, including cost estimates.
- Landfills must provide financial assurance for closure, postclosure maintenance, and operating liability.
- Municipal solid waste landfills are also regulated by Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations (40 CFR), Part 258 (Subtitle D) Section 258.2.
Please see the Permit Toolbox Full Permit Page for information on processing a landfill permit.
|CalRecycle Standards Pertaining to Landfills|
|Solid Waste Facility Permit Process||Title 27 CCR, Chapter 4|
|State Minimum Operating and Design Standards for Active Landfills||Title 27 CCR, Sections 20510-20705, and Sections 20710-20919.5|
|Report of Facility Information (RFI) Requirements||Title 27 CCR, Section 21600|
|Definitions (Regulations)||Title 27 CCR, Chapter 2|
|Definitions (Statute)||PRC Sections 40100-40201|
|Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)||Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations (40 CFR), Part 258 (Subtitle D), Section 258.2|
- Permit Toolbox Full Permit Page
- LEA Advisory No. 54: 1998 Inspection Guidance for Solid Waste Landfills
- Daily/Intermediate Cover and Alternative Daily/Intermediate Cover Guidelines
- LEA Advisory No. 13: Wood Waste Landfills
- CDI Material Disposal Sites
- Waste Tire Monofills
- CEQA Document Preparation Guidelines for Disposal Facilities
- Commenting on CEQA Projects and Other Land Use Developments Adjacent to Active or Closed Solid Waste Facilities
Statutory Definitions Pertinent to Landfills
- "Solid Waste Facility" includes a solid waste transfer or processing station, a composting facility, a transformation facility, and a disposal facility. Section 40194 of the PRC (Definitions)
- "Solid Waste Landfill" means a disposal facility that accepts solid waste for land disposal... Section 40195.1 of the PRC (Definitions)
- "Disposal Facility" or "facility" means any facility or location where disposal of solid waste occurs... Section 40121 of the PRC (Definitions)
- "Solid Waste Disposal" or "disposal" means the final deposition of solid wastes onto land, into the atmosphere, or into the waters of the state... Section 40192 of the PRC (Definitions)
- "Solid Waste" means all putrescible and nonputrescible solid, semisolid, and liquid wastes, including garbage, trash, refuse, paper, rubbish, ashes, industrial wastes, demolition and construction wastes, abandoned vehicles and parts thereof, discarded home and industrial appliances, dewatered, treated, or chemically fixed sewage sludge which is not hazardous waste, manure, vegetable or animal solid and semisolid wastes, and other discarded solid and semisolid wastes... Section 40191 of the PRC (Definitions)
- "Municipal Solid Waste Landfill" means a discrete area of land or an excavation that receives household waste, and that is not a land application unit, surface impoundment, injection well, or waste pile... Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations (40 CFR), Part 258 (Subtitle D) Section 258.2-Definitions
- "Household Waste" means any solid waste (including garbage, trash, and sanitary waste in septic tanks) derived from households (including single and multiple residences, hotels and motels, bunkhouses, ranger stations, crew quarters, campgrounds, picnic grounds, and day-use recreation areas). Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations (40 CFR), Part 258 (Subtitle D) Section 258.2-Definitions