On this page...
- Managing Different Waste Types
- Waste Management Program Implementation & Enhancement
- Education & Outreach Tools for Your State Agency
- Additional Resources
Managing Different Waste Types
The California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) assists agencies in their implementation of waste prevention, reuse, and recycling programs to reduce waste.
The links below take you to different areas of the CalRecycle and Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) websites that provide information on how to manage various types of wastes.
An extensive list of material types and waste reduction topics is also available if you do not see the waste type you are looking for above. If you need more specific information on these waste categories, please contact your CalRecycle representative for further assistance.
Please refer to DGS Surplus Property for information regarding the reuse and disposition of state owned property and materials.
Waste Management Program Implementation and Enhancement
- Waste Reduction Policies and Procedures for State Agencies provides general guidance for developing your programs. Download this guide (Pub. #441-1999-0017)
- Conducting a Diversion Study--A Guide for Local Jurisdictions (Pub. #311-1999-0006) contains historical information from CalRecycle’s statewide goal measurement prior to 2007 that estimated a diversion percentage.
- Volume-to-Weight Conversion Factors (approximate) for recovered materials, as found in Appendix I of Conducting a Diversion Study: A Guide for California Jurisdictions (Pub. #311-1999-0006)
- Solid Waste Generation, Disposal, and Diversion Measurement Guide for State Agencies and Large State Facilities (Final Draft for Peer Review) (Pub. #321-2000-0007) contains historical information from CalRecycle’s statewide goal measurement prior to 2007 that estimated a diversion percentage.
- Metal and Paper Recycling contracts have been set up by CalRecycle--ready for your use in specified regions.
- Recycling Contract Language provides general information and options to consider when forming recycling collection services contracts.
- State Surplus Property provides information on Department of General Services procedures and requirements.
Education and Outreach Tools for Your State Agency
- Tools for Education/Outreach and Implementation of AB 1826
- Office Paper Reduction
- Office Waste Reduction Posters and Stickers
- Bottles and Cans Posters
- Brochures and Publications on waste reduction, reuse, and recycling.
- Information for Waste Reduction and Recycling Coordinators developed for local government and business recycling coordinators, and applicable to state facilities.
- Business Resource Efficiency and Waste Reduction additional information on office paper reduction, landscape waste reduction, waste assessments, etc.
- School District Waste Reduction includes guidance for school districts and local government recycling coordinators who are developing districtwide waste reduction programs.
- College and University Recycling Coalition provides information and exchange of technical knowledge and best practices on recycling and waste reduction programs among institutions of higher learning.