CalRecycle has compiled the following materials and tools for planning, implementing, and evaluating used oil and household hazardous waste programs. The information is intended to complement the guidance and support provided by CalRecycle grant managers. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact your grant manager.
- Grants Administration
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Tools for Your Outreach Campaign
- Partnering With Certified Collection Centers
- Targeted Sector Programs
- Conferences and Training
- Used Oil Publications
- HHW Publications
- Grant Manager Assignments. CalRecycle staff assigned to assist used oil and household hazardous waste grantees, by county.
- Grant-Related Forms
Program Planning and Evaluation
Community-Based Social Marketing Pilot to Increase Do-It-Yourself Oil Recycling Rates. Summarizes the findings of pilot studies in Los Angeles, Napa, and Madera Counties to determine the effectiveness of Community Based Social Marketing in increasing used oil and filter recycling among Californians who change their own motor oil, Do-It-Yourselfers (DIYers). Published by the California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle).
Used Oil Recycling Program Self Evaluation and Program Gap Identification. This online evaluation tool will help you increase used oil collection by determining which program components to emphasize and how to work within a limited budget.
Grant Management Success. A manual for evaluating your used oil recycling program, which you can download from our publications catalog.
Changing Behavior--Insights and Applications. A project team at the local Hazardous Waste Management Program in King County, Washington, spent several months in 1995 reading behavior change literature from energy conservation, recycling, health education and other fields, looking for insights. This paper, revised in 2001, describes their findings.
Demographics information enables program managers to more effectively determine need for services based on characteristics such as language, age, income level, vehicle ownership, residence type, etc. In addition, the characteristics of a community determine the type of outreach that may be most effective, e.g. large populations of Spanish speakers may lead to bilingual outreach materials or large numbers of senior citizens may indicate the use of large font materials.
- Demographic Profiles. Data provided by the United States Census Bureau.
- California Demographics. The official demographic data for State planning, budgeting and evaluation, provided by the Demographic Research Unit of the Department of Finance.
- County Vehicle Registrations. Provided by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
- CalRecycle Research. CalRecycle conducted two studies to understand the used oil recycling behavior of California at-home/do-it-yourself and "shade tree" mechanics. The following publications are available:
Partnering With Certified Collection Centers
- Certified Center Site Visit Checklist
- Certified Center Auto-Fill Site Visit Checklist (System Generated)
- Certified Used Oil Collection Reports
- Signage for Certified Collection Centers
- Used Oil Collection Centers and Orphan Oil Best Management Practices
- Collection Center Basics to Customize Handout
- Managing Local CCC Programs: A Guide for OPP Recipients
- Certified Collections Centers Operators Guide
See also the Certified Center Operator home page, which includes information and materials developed for certified center operators.
Targeted Sector Programs
Any activity that generates used oil may require an organized recycling effort consisting of establishing collection locations and performing outreach. In addition to at-home-mechanics, targeted sector programs may include marinas, airports, agricultural areas, and small businesses such as the conditionally exempt small quantity generators (CESQG).
- Agricultural Program
- Marina Programs
California Stormwater Best Management Practices Handbook. Helpful information regarding your stormwater program, including drain insert limitations and guidelines, is provided by the California Stormwater Quality Association.
- Used Oil Filters