The application period for fiscal year (FY) 2018-19 is now closed.
The Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) administers a program to provide opportunities for local governments/other eligible jurisdictions to receive payments for used oil and used oil filter collection/recycling programs.
Note: “OPP” followed by a number is the cycle code for the Local Government Used Oil Payment Program.
Eligible applicants are limited to local governments, which are defined in statute as "any chartered or general law city, chartered or general law county, or any city and county." CalRecycle may make a payment to another entity that will implement the program on behalf of a local government (in lieu of making a payment to that local government) with the agreement of that local government.
To be eligible to apply for a payment under this program, applicants must:
- Have either one certified used oil collection center per 100,000 residents and/or a curbside collection program that includes used oil/used oil filter collection at least monthly.
- Have a public education component [in their program] that informs the public of locally available used oil/used oil filter collection/recycling opportunities.
- Accept the terms set out in the OPP Cycle 9 Guidelines and be in compliance with the program provisions described in PRC section 48690 et seq., notably PRC sections 48674, 48690, and 48691.
A maximum amount of $11 million will be available, subject to an approved State budget and funding availability as determined by CalRecycle.
Per Capita Funding
- Payments are calculated per capita using the Department of Finance's population statistics.
- Small jurisdictions will be provided a minimum award of $5,000 for cities and $10,000 for counties.
- Jurisdictions may also apply regionally and pool their funds.
|Dates||Activity and Details|
|May 24, 2018||Application Open Date and Application Access
Applications will be available on this date by logging into the Local Government Oil Payment Program (LoGOPP).
Returning users can immediately log into LoGOPP and start the application.
OPP Cycle 9 Guidelines
If you have questions, please contact your Program Advisor.
|June 28, 2018||Application Due Date |
Applications are due on this date - customer service will be provided until 4:00 p.m.
|July 26, 2018||Document Due Date
Approved Resolution and if applicable, Letters of Authorization must be uploaded in LoGOPP by this date.
|Spring 2019||Payments Awarded
Payment amounts will be determined as soon as possible after the Document Due Date. A single payment will be made in Spring 2019, unless a Fall 2018 payment is requested by the applicant and subsequently approved by CalRecycle. Payment dates may be subject to change. Funding is subject to State budget approval.
|July 1, 2018-June 30, 2020||Term
The term is 24 months. Funding will be available for expenditure for the new cycle on July 1, 2018, and be available for expenditure through June 30, 2020. Refer to the OPP Cycle 9 Guidelines for further information and any exceptions.
|August 15, 2019 and August 15, 2020||Annual Report Due Dates
Submission of an online Annual Report is required and is due no later than August 15th of each year during performance period. If the due date falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the online report must be submitted by the following Monday.