Minimum Content Requirement
- Minimum content requirement: 30 percent postconsumer (PCC section 12209(b)).
- At least 75 percent of the total dollars spent within this category must be used to procure products(s) meeting the 30 percent postconsumer requirement.
- For statutes specifically pertaining to printing and writing paper, refer to the Statutes Pertaining to the State Agency Buy Recycled Campaign web page.
- Please see the SABRC section on the State Agency’s Laws and Regulation web page for legislation related to SABRC.
Example Printing and Writing Paper Categories
Printing and writing paper examples include but are not limited to:
- Cotton fiber
- Computer printouts
- White wove envelopes
- Manila envelopes
- Uncoated writing papers
- Note pads
- Writing tables
- Index cards
- Book paper
Note: For reused or refurbished products, there is no minimum content requirement. (PCC 12209 (l))
California Printing and Writing Paper Manufacturers*
- AME Label Corporation
28324 Constellation Road
Valencia, California 91355
- Green Field Paper Company
7196 Clairemont Mesa Boulevard
San Diego, California 92111
* Identification of individuals, companies, and products on this list does not constitute endorsement by CalRecycle. CalRecycle publishes this information to increase public awareness and to build markets for recycled content products. This list is not comprehensive.
Resources & Guidelines
- CalRecycle's Recycled Paper web page.
- Buy Recycled. CalRecycle’s website contains additional program overviews and buy recycled activities.
- Department of General Services Office Paper Products. Includes links to statewide recycled paper contracts. Different types of paper and envelopes are included.
- Department of General Services Office of State Publishing. Offers printing services and electronic document storage.
- Comprehensive Procurement Guidelines. U.S. EPA’s guide for paper and paper products includes a manufacturers and suppliers database, catalogs, and product definitions.
- Office Depot Buying Green Catalog. Offers recycled paper, envelopes, and forms options.
- Staples Sustainable Products. Offers recycle paper and office supplies options.
- Conservatree. A comprehensive website that provides technical assistance with selecting environmentally preferable papers. It includes an extensive listing of environmentally preferable papers that is sorted by specific paper grade.
- Green Purchasing. StopWaste’s website explains benefits of purchasing postconsumer paper products.
- Paper Calculator. This tool from Environmental Defense compares the environmental impacts of specific types of recycled and virgin papers.
- Recycled Products Purchasing Cooperative. The Recycled Products Purchasing Cooperative is a non-profit program that provides recycled copy paper and products at prices that meet or beat what many businesses and public entities pay for non-recycled copy paper and products.
State Agency Procurement
State Administrative Manual (SAM) for paper (1930.10)