The Product Stewardship for Carpets Law (Public Resources Code Section 42970-42983), as amended by Assembly Bill 1158 (Carpet Recycling, Chu, 2017), requires CalRecycle to appoint an Advisory Committee to provide recommendations to a carpet manufacturer or stewardship organization and to the department on carpet stewardship plans, plan amendments, and annual reports.
Advisory Committee Members
- Douglas Williams, Los Angles Fiber Co.
- Eric Nelson, Circonomey Innovations
- Franco Rossi, Aquafil USA
- Gail Brice, XT Green
- Howard Sapper, Carpet Manufacturers Warehouse
- Jen Jackson, San Francisco Department of the Environment
- Dr. Joanne Brasch, California Product Stewardship Council
- Joe Yarbrough, The Carpet and Rug Institute
- Nat Isaac, City of Los Angeles Bureau of Sanitation
- Nick Lapis, Californians Against Waste
- Rachel Palopoli, Planet Recycling
- Steve Belong, Carpet, Linoleum, & Soft Tile Workers Local Union No. 12, District Council 16
- Steve Landreth, ProSpectra Contract Flooring, Senate Rules Committee Appointee
- Wes Nelson, GreenWaste Carpet Recycling
Duties of the Advisory Committee
- Receive a copy of carpet stewardship plans and amendments to plans no less than 30 days before a carpet stewardship organization or manufacturer submits a plan or amendment to the department.
- Receive a copy of carpet stewardship annual reports no less than 30 days before a carpet stewardship organization or manufacturer submits the annual report to the department.
- Provide comments and recommendations to carpet stewardship organizations or manufacturers and to the department based on review of the materials. To the extent feasible, recommendations shall be incorporated into the carpet stewardship plan, amendments to the plan, or annual report before being submitted to the department.
- A member of the Advisory Committee shall serve without compensation, but shall be reimbursed for actual and necessary travel and other expenses incurred in the performance of his or her duties.