Why Choose CalRecycle?
CalRecycle's vision is to inspire and challenge Californians to achieve the highest waste reduction, recycling, and reuse goals in the nation. Learn more about the work of CalRecycle...
CalRecycle’s main offices are located in the heart of downtown Sacramento, close to restaurants, shops, farmers markets, and city parking. The buildings are easily accessible by bicycle, light rail, city buses, and commuter buses from outlying areas, with substantial discounts available on many transit passes. Our modern, LEED Platinum-certified headquarters facility was designed with energy and water efficiency in mind. It includes a cafeteria, child care center, indoor bicycle parking, exercise room, and showers. The department also has satellite offices in San Diego, Los Angeles, Long Beach, and Riverside.
We are committed to providing our employees with more than a paycheck. In addition to competitive public employee wages, our employees enjoy meaningful and interesting work, a comprehensive benefits package, continuous learning and development opportunities, and a work environment that is diverse and eco-friendly.
CalRecycle is committed to providing its staff with the most current information technology capabilities to perform their jobs; this complement of technology currently includes Windows 10, Office 2016, advanced Voice-Over-IP communications, fast and responsive computer systems with dual monitors for most staff, full indexing and search capability of all internal information content, advanced video and webcasting services, and more.
How to Apply
- If you're new to employment with the State of California, you'll need to get familiar with the application process.
- Current and former state employees should see CalHR's FAQ for more information about their options.
Finding Current Job Openings
- All CalRecycle civil service job openings are listed on the California State Jobs (jobs.ca.gov) site under "Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery." The site also provides information on how to apply for any state job, and you can create an online account to store applications and receive notices about vacancies.
- Student assistant positions. CalRecycle has many paid student assistant jobs.
- Internships and volunteer opportunities (unpaid) are sometimes available at CalRecycle.
CalRecycle hires from a large number of classifications, most of which use statewide exams. In a few cases, CalRecycle offers its own exams for CalRecycle-specific classifications.
Seach all current state exams. This includes statewide exams (many of which are used by CalRecycle) and those specific to certain departments. Many can be taken online.
CalRecycle-specific exams. The following exam(s) are currently offered by CalRecycle.
- Open Exam: Loan Officer Bulletin (Final filing date: April 1, 2019) |
Supplemental Application Exam
Note: Final filing date was extended.
- Open Exam: Deputy Director, Materials Management and Local Assistance Division (CEA-B) (Final filing date: April 7, 2019)
The proposed exam plan for CalRecycle-specific exams for the current fiscal year is shown below.
Limited Examination and Appointment Program (LEAP). LEAP is an alternate examination and appointment process designed to facilitate the recruitment and hiring of persons with disabilities into California civil service employment.
CalRecycle Exam Plan for Fiscal Year 2018-2019
Schedule and proposed bulletin release date are subject to change to meet the needs of the department. As CalHR consortium examinations are released, this exam plan will change.
|Class Title||Class Code||Exam Type||Proposed Bulletin Release Date||Instrument||Spot/Location|
|Staff Services Analyst (SSA) Transfer Exam||5157||Transfer||As necessary||Written||Statewide|
|Loan Officer | Supplemental Application Exam ||7480||Open||April 1, 2019||E & E||Statewide|
Note: Employment at the California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) is guided by the regulations and procedures governing the California Civil Service System. CalRecycle is an equal opportunity employer.