CalRecycle is committed to using our available resources to support recycling markets and help build a more robust materials processing infrastructure in order to reduce the state's reliance on global markets for recyclable material. The following are some of CalRecycle’s current programs and initiatives that may assist jurisdictions.
Statewide Commission on Recycling Markets and Curbside Recycling
By July 1, 2020, CalRecycle will convene a Statewide Commission to make policy recommendations for meeting California’s landfill diversion and market development goals. The commission will also identify products that are recyclable or compostable, as defined by Section 42370.2 of the California Public Resources Code, and regularly collected in curbside recycling programs. The commission will consist of representatives from California public agencies, private solid waste enterprises, and organizations with expertise in recycling.
Greenhouse Gas Reduction Grant and Loan Programs
CalRecycle's GHG grants and loans provide financial incentives for capital investments in infrastructure for recycling and manufacturing facilities that will reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Grants are targeted to build or expand organics infrastructure for manufacturing products with recycled content fiber, plastic, or glass. These programs are part of California Climate Investments, a statewide program that puts billions of Cap-and-Trade dollars to work reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Recycling Market Development Zone (RMDZ) Program
The RMDZ program combines recycling with economic development to fuel new businesses, expand existing ones, create jobs, and divert waste from landfills. The program provides loans, technical assistance, and product marketing to businesses that use recyclable materials to manufacture their products.
Responses and Resources
- CalRecycle Policy Director’s presentation and testimony:
- CalRecycle COVID-19 Resources and Updates
- Statewide Commission on Recycling Markets and Curbside Recycling webpage
National Sword Focus
- March 2019 Recycling Outreach Campaign (Information Item 1)
- November 2018 Workshop-Shifting Recycling Markets and Impacts on AB 939 Compliance for Jurisdictions
- June 2018 Recycling Globally Workshop presenter slides
- May 2018 letter to local jurisdictions from CalRecycle
- January 2018 letter to local enforcement agencies (LEA) from CalRecycle
- January 2018 letter to local jurisdictions from CalRecycle