The Mattress Recycling Council (MRC) is a nonprofit organization created by the International Sleep Products Association, and was certified by CalRecycle as a mattress recycling organization on November 5, 2014.
The Mattress Recycling Council’s Used Mattress Recovery and Recycling Plan, was submitted on November 30, 2015 and approved by CalRecycle on January 29, 2016. The Mattress Recycling Council California, LLC Contingency Plan was submitted on April 30, 2020, pursuant to new statutory requirements added by Assembly Bill 187 (Garcia, Chapter 673, Statutes of 2019), and approved by CalRecycle on July 27, 2020.
Mattress Recycling Council Stewardship Plan Process
- Used Mattress Recovery and Recycling Plan*, submitted July 1, 2015
- Errata Sheet for the Used Mattress Recovery and Recycling Plan, submitted July 24, 2015
*If you require assistance accessing this document, contact CalRecycle's Office of Public Affairs at (916) 341-6300.
CalRecycle reviewed the Mattress Recycling Council’s Stewardship Plan for completeness and found the plan to be complete.
On October 1, 2015 CalRecycle’s Director conditionally approved the plan submitted by the MRC, giving the organization 60 days to adequately address the issues staff identified in its recommendations. On November 30, 2015, the MRC resubmitted the plan; it is posted below.
- Used Mattress Recovery and Recycling Plan Resubmittal, submitted November 30, 2015.
Staff presented a recommendation to approve the resubmitted Plan at the January 26, 2016 Public Meeting. The Director approved the Plan on January 29th, 2016.
- Request for Approval, signed January 29, 2016
On April 11, 2018, the MRC submitted a letter notifying CalRecycle that they planned to increase the Illegal Dump Mattress Collection Initiative. On April 23, 2018, CalRecycle responded to the MRC with a letter acknowledging the need for modifications in order to reduce illegal dumping in the state and requested additional information on up-stream solutions to address illegal dumping in the 2017 Annual Report.
Pursuant to Public Resources Code 42987.1(r), the MRC submitted its proposed contingency plan on April 30, 2020.
- Request for Approval, signed July 27, 2020
- Mattress Recycling Council California, LLC Contingency Plan, submitted by MRC with a cover letter April 30, 2020
- MRC’s written response to the Mattress Advisory Committee Comments on the Draft Contingency Plan, dated April 30, 2020
- CalRecycle’s responses to MRC’s draft contingency plan, dated April 17, 2020
Pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), CalRecycle prepared a Notice of Exemption regarding the Used Mattress Recovery and Recycling Plan and Budget. CEQA documents are posted below:
- Notice of Exemption for the Used Mattress Recovery and Recycling Plan and Budget, with attachment, received October 1, 2015
A used mattress recovery and recycling plan, commonly referred to as a stewardship plan, outlines how a mattress recycling organization intends to fulfill its responsibilities under the law and communicates a course of action to stakeholders and the public. Plans submitted to CalRecycle will be posted on this website. Recovery and recycling plan criteria include, but are not limited to, the following information [refer to the law for a more comprehensive list]:
- Program objectives consistent with the state’s solid waste management hierarchy
- Names of manufacturers, renovators, and brands covered under the plan
- Publishing of an annual report for each calendar year of operation
- Program performance measurement that shall collect program data for the purpose of the annual report
- Consultation process with affected stakeholders
- Methods to increase the number of used mattresses diverted from landfills, reduce the number of illegally dumped used mattresses, and increase the quantity of used materials recovered through this process and recycled for other uses
- Funding for the mattress recycling organization for plan implementation, including the administrative, operational, and capital costs
- Coordination with existing used mattress collecting and recycling programs
- Outreach efforts and education to consumers, manufacturers, and retailers, for the purpose of promoting the recycling of used mattresses and options available to consumers for the free dropoff of used mattresses