The Used Mattress Recovery and Recycling Act requires the CalRecycle Director to appoint an advisory committee to be part of the mattress recycling organization. Per Public Resources Code section 42987(a)(3)(A), the advisory committee may be comprised of members of the environmental community, solid waste industry, local government, and public and private representatives involved in the collection, processing and recycling of used mattresses, and other interested parties. Statute does not limit the number of members that may serve on the advisory committee, therefore CalRecycle has discretion to appoint as many individuals as it deems warranted to ensure sufficient composition and representation.
Duties of Advisory Committee:
- Provide consultation to the MRC pursuant to section 42987(a)(3) of the Public Resources Code:
- At least once during the development and implementation of the MRC’s plan required pursuant to section 42987.1;
- Annually prior to the MRC’s submittal of an annual report required pursuant to section 42990.1; and
- Annually prior to the MRC’s submittal of an annual budget required pursuant to section 42988.
- Prepare a report, which includes a summary of the consultative process between the advisory committee and the MRC during the development of the MRC’s plan, as well as any other information deemed pertinent by the advisory committee to maximizing the recovery and recycling of used mattresses in the state.
- Prepare a report that includes a summary of the consultative process between the advisory committee and the MRC relating to the ongoing implementation of the plan, as well as any other information deemed pertinent by the advisory committee to maximizing the recovery and recycling of used mattresses in the state.
Advisory Committee Meetings
Mattress Advisory Committee Members (as of February 2019):
- Baani Behniwal, Policy Associate, Californians Against Waste
- Joanne Brasch, Special Projects Manager, California Product Stewardship Council
Solid Waste Industry
- Veronica Pardo, Regulatory Affairs Director, California Refuse Recycling Council
- Christopher Gibson, Environmental Manager, Recology
- Rebecca Andreassen, Infrastructure Policy Analyst, Office of Mayor Eric Garcetti, City of Los Angeles
- David Goldstein, Recycling Market Development Zone Administrator, Ventura County
- Jim McHargue, Air Pollution Control Officer/Director of Solid Waste, Amador County
- Jo Zientek, Director, Consumer and Environmental Protection Agency, Santa Clara County
Private representatives involved in the collection, processing, and recycling of used mattresses
- Don Franco, Jr., Vice President, Gateway Mattress Co., Inc.
- Terry McDonald, Executive Director, St. Vincent de Paul Society of Lane Co., Inc.
- Tchad Robinson, President, Blue Marble Materials
Other interested parties
- Rebecca Jewell, Private Consultant on waste management and recycling issues.
- Robert McGowan, Regional Vice President, Pacific Central Region at Mattress Firm Inc.
The director appointed thirteen individuals to the Mattress Recycling Organization Advisory Committee in March 2014 according to the general stakeholder categories recommended in statute. On April 25, 2017 the director appointed a new member into the Solid Waste Industry category to fill a vacancy created by a change in one of the appointees employment affiliations, as described in the April Request for Approval. On October 18, 2017, the director appointed two new local government representatives to fill a vacancy in that category as described in the October Request for Approval. On April 18, 2018, the director appointed a new member to the Other Interested Parties category to fill a vacancy as described in the April Request for Approval. On September 25, 2018, the director appointed a new member to the Solid Waste Industry category to fill a vacancy as described in the September Request for Approval.