Office of Public Affairs
For Immediate Release: July 26, 2021
Media Contact: Office of Public Affairs, Lance Klug
916-341-6293 | firstname.lastname@example.org
SACRAMENTO – Bakersfield retailer Valley Mattress will pay $63,034 in penalties and back payments for collecting customers’ recycling fees, then failing to submit them to California’s mattress recycling program. The retailer also did not provide requested compliance records to state inspectors as required by California’s Used Mattress Recovery and Recycling Act (mattress recycling law).
Mattress recycling reduces the costs of illegally dumped mattresses
In addition to registering with MRC, California mattress retailers are required to:
- Add a mattress recycling charge to the purchase price of each mattress/futon
- Clearly display the charge as a separate line item on the invoice/receipt
- Offer consumers the option of having their used mattress picked up at no additional cost when their new mattress is delivered
- Provide CalRecycle access to facilities and relevant compliance records
As part of a settlement announced today, Valley Mattress will verify its renewed compliance with all mattress recycling law requirements, pay civil penalties to CalRecycle, and pay delinquent consumer recycling fees to MRC.
Fast Facts: California’s Mattress Stewardship Program
- The Mattress Recycling Council has operated California’s mattress recycling program since 2014.
- Historically, the bulky nature of mattresses and the lack of affordable, convenient recycling options resulted in a high number of mattresses illegally dumped, at substantial cost to California communities.
- Used mattresses are highly recyclable (between 75-90 percent of each mattress by weight).
- Mattress components can be recycled into a number of products, including carpet, oil filters, appliances, building materials, and landscaping.
- Learn more about California’s mattress recycling law requirements on CalRecycle.ca.gov/mattresses, or find the nearest mattress collection/recycling option near you on ByeByeMattress.com.