Single-Use Carryout Bags (SB 270). On November 8, 2016, California voters upheld the nation’s first statewide ban on single-use plastic bags, aligning state law with ordinances passed by a growing number of local governments in California to reduce plastic waste. For more information please visit: Home Page | FAQ | Law
CalRecycle works to reduce life-cycle environmental impacts of plastic products and packaging and to foster appropriate end-of-life management of plastic discards. Various programs and activities offer comprehensive approaches to managing plastic materials, ranging from product design and material choices to market incentives and infrastructure improvements.
- Plastic Trash Bags. Certain trash bags must contain at least 10 percent recycled plastic.
- Rigid Plastic Packaging Containers (RPPC). Manufacturers producing RPPCs (defined in statute) must meet one of several options, such as use of 25 percent recycled plastic feedstock.
- Beverage Container Recycling Program (includes some plastic beverage containers). Consumers pay California Refund Value (CRV) on each eligible beverage container, which is refundable when the empty container is returned.
- Plastic Market Development Payments. California processors and manufacturers may receive incentive payments for recycled CRV plastic used to make new products in the state. Notices for processors and manufacturers | Regulations | Public Resources Code
- Recycled Fiber, Plastic, and Glass Grants and Loans. A competitive program to lower greenhouse gas emissions by expanding existing capacity or establishing new facilities in California that use California-generated postconsumer fiber, plastic, or glass to manufacture products.
Other Information and Resources
- Frequently Asked Questions. Find out more about plastics recycling in California, and learn about the challenges of recycling plastic products.
- Biobased and Degradable Plastics. Learn about strict labeling laws in the state, and review findings from CalRecycle’s collaborative research.
- China’s National Sword. Restrictions on the import of recyclable material.
- Past Activities.
- Packaging White Paper. This report presents potential policy approaches to increase the collection and recovery of packaging in California.
- Plastics Terminology
- Compostable Plastics Fact Sheet
- Plastics Publications
- Recycled-Content Product Manufacturers Directory
- Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
- CalRecycle Staff Contacts
- Contact CalRecycle staff for more information.