Polycarbonate is one of the most widely used polymers in electronic product enclosures. Its high strength, toughness, heat resistance, and excellent dimensional and color stability make it a natural for office product covers and enclosures (Plastics Technology Center). In summary, PC has the following physical properties:
- Excellent toughness
- Very good heat resistance
- Fair chemical resistance
- Moderate to high price
- Fair processing
Estimates are not available for the amount of PC used as manufacturing feedstock in California. In general, PC could be used in the manufacture of the following commodities:
- Equipment housings
- Exterior automotive components
- Outdoor lighting fixtures
- Nameplates and bezels
- Nonautomotive vehicle windows
- Brackets and structural parts
- Medical supply components
- Society of the Plastics Industry, Inc. (SPI) is a trade association of over 2,000 members representing all segments of the plastics industry in the United States.
- Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE) is a network of plastics professionals around the world promoting the knowledge and education of plastics and polymers.
- Vehicle Recycling Partnership (VRP) was formed by the United States Council for Automotive Research (USCAR) to identify and peruse research and development efforts to promote the recycling of motor vehicles. Chrysler, Ford and General Motors formed USCAR to work together on shared technological and environmental concerns.
- Advanced Recovery is a company involved in recycling scrap materials, specifically dangerous CRTs and electronic equipment.
- American Plastics Council (APC) is the major national trade association representing the U.S. plastics industry on resource conservation issues.
- Mat Web is an online materials information resource.