The application period for fiscal year 2012/13 is now closed.
The Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) administers a program to provide opportunities for local governments/other eligible jurisdictions to receive payments for used oil and used oil filter collection/recycling programs.
Eligible applicants are limited to local governments, which are defined in statute as "any chartered or general law city, chartered or general law county, or any city and county." CalRecycle may make a payment to another entity that will implement the program of a local government (in lieu of making a payment to that local government) with the agreement of that local government.
To be eligible to apply for a payment under this program, applicants must:
- Have either one certified collection center per 100,000 residents and/or a curbside collection program that includes used oil/used oil filter collection at least monthly.
- Have a public education component [in their program] that informs the public of locally available used oil/used oil filter collection/recycling opportunities.
- Accept the terms set out in the OPP Cycle 3 Guidelines and be in compliance with the program provisions described in PRC § 48690 et seq., notably PRC §§ 48674, 48690, and 48691.
A maximum amount of $11 million will be available, subject to an approved State budget and funding availability as determined by CalRecycle.
Per Capita Funding
- Payments are calculated per capita using the Department of Finance's population statistics.
- Small jurisdictions will be provided a minimum award of $5,000 for cities and $10,000 for counties.
- Jurisdictions may also apply regionally and pool their funds.
The term is 24 months. Funding will be available for expenditure for the new cycle on July 1, 2012, and be available for expenditure through June 30, 2014. Refer to the OPP Cycle 3 Guidelines for further information and any exceptions.
Application available online: May 31, 2012
Application deadline: June 29, 2012
Applications are to be submitted online and are to be received by June 29, 2012.
In the event that the applicant does not have online capability, please contact Cycle Support at (916) 324-8867.