Beverage Container Recycling
It's in Your Hands
You can get your beverage container recycling refunds on a per-container basis instead of by weight.
- By law, you can bring up to 50 aluminum, 50 glass, 50 plastic, and 50 bi-metal California Redemption Value (CRV) containers in a single visit and request to be paid by count. You will be paid the full CRV redemption of 5 cents or 10 cents on each container. Inform the site attendant of your load content and how you would like to receive payment before you hand over your load.
- Any consumer who has been denied this right by a recycling center can file a complaint via email or by calling 1-800-RECYCLE.
- If recycling more than 50 containers of any one material type, the decision to pay by count or weight is determined by the recycling center operator. Make sure your containers are whole and free of contaminants such as dirt, excessive liquid or other foreign substances. If you are being paid by weight, make sure the load contains only eligible CRV beverage containers.
- Daily load limits of empty CRV beverage containers are 100 pounds each for aluminum and plastic, and 1,000 pounds for glass. If the load includes containers not eligible for CRV, the recycling center must either reject the load or pay only scrap value.
Every bottle and can you recycle eases the strain on our natural resources and reduces greenhouse gases in our skies. Want to step up your efforts to help the environment? Want to know what's out there beyond your community's curbside program? No doubt, reaching for the recycling bin just feels right. So no matter how you're doing your part, thank you.
Of course with recycling, there's no such thing as too much of a good thing. And in that spirit, here you can learn all you need to know about how to recycle in your community and how to cash in while doing it.
- Find a Recycling Center
- General Program Information
- Important Consumer Information
- Informational Flier: CRV Only--It’s the Law
- Folleto Informaciónal: Solamente CRV--Es la Ley
- Informational Flier: Change to the Daily Load Limits Allowed to be Redeemed at Certified Recycling Centers by Consumers (English)
- Folleto Informacional: Nuevos Límites de Carga Diarios que Consumidores Podrán Redimir en Centros de Reciclaje Certificados (Spanish)
- Beverages Subject to California Refund Value (CRV)--Informational Flyer: Color | Black & White
- Bebidas Surjetas al Pago de Reembolso de California (CRV): Folleto en color | Folleto en blanco y negro
Beverage Container Recycling, http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/BevContainer/Consumers/