Paint Product Management
Why focus on paint?
Households and businesses generate millions of gallons of leftover paint each year. In California, paint is prohibited from disposal in landfills and must be recycled or otherwise safely disposed. Prior to the passage of the California Paint Stewardship Law (Public Resources Code Section 48700--48706), the primary way for residents to properly manage their leftover paint was through local, taxpayer-funded household hazardous waste (HHW) programs. However, due to the immense cost to manage household hazardous waste, local programs typically can only afford to serve between five to ten percent of the residents in their jurisdictions. Historically, paint has represented almost one-third of the material collected through local HHW programs and costs local government millions of dollars to manage.
What is being done?
California was the second state in the nation to enact an industry-led, statewide program to reduce the generation of leftover paint, promote its reuse, and properly manage unwanted leftover paint. The Paint Stewardship Program follows producer responsibility principles to ensure that leftover paint is properly managed in a manner that is sustainably funded.
What can I do?
Find out how Californians are recycling and properly managing
paint to keep usable products out of our waste stream, and
valuable materials in our economy. Click on the links below
for more information.
- Product Stewardship/Extended Producer Responsibility
- Paint Stewardship Program
- Locations that Sell Recycled Paint (PDF, 692 KB)
- Letter on Taxation of Paint Assessment
- Paint Dropoff Site Locator Tool
- Recycled Latex Paint
- Aerosol and Paint Can Recycling
- Subscribe to CalRecycle’s Paint Product Stewardship Listserv
- Dept. of General Services Buying Green Guide
- Paint Product Stewardship Listserv Archive
- Paint Stewardship Law
- Wastes Banned From the Trash
- Retailers and Distributors
- Stewardship Program: Compliant Manufacturers and Brands
- Architectural Paint Products Defined by PaintCare
- Register Your Company or Products With PaintCare
- PaintCare: Paint Stewardship Organization
- What Is a Stewardship Organization?
- Recycling Market Development Zones
- Green Seal© Sustainability Standards for Paints and Coatings
- Master Painters Institute Green Performance Standards