Section 14549.3 of the Public Resources Code (PRC) requires reports of the amount of virgin plastic and postconsumer recycled plastic used in beverage containers sold in California. The statute was amended on September 24, 2020 with the approval of AB 793.
CalRecycle has scanned and posted the information reported below.
- 2017 beverage manufacturers who submitted a report
- 2018 beverage manufacturers who submitted a report
- 2019 beverage manufacturers who submitted a report*
*Due to the disruption caused by the COVID-19 public health crisis, there is incomplete data at this time. As the department receives 2019 reports from additional beverage manufacturers, their data will be added.
The California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) does not discriminate on the basis of disability in access to its programs. CalRecycle documents are available in accessible formats upon request by calling the Public Affairs Office at (916) 341-6300. Persons with hearing impairments can reach CalRecycle through the California Relay Service at 1-800-735-2929.
- What is the purpose of the statute?
Section 14549.3 of the Public Resources Code (PRC) requires reports of the amount in pounds and by resin type of virgin plastic and postconsumer recycled plastic used in beverage containers sold in California.
CalRecycle will post the information reported on the department's web site.
- Am I required to report?
If you meet either one of these conditions, you must report.
- You fill plastic beverage containers for sale to distributors, dealers, or consumers. (PRC Section 14506.); Or
- You import filled plastic beverage containers into California for sale to distributors, dealers, or consumers. (PRC Section 14506.)
You do not need to report if:
- You do not use plastic beverage containers and only fill or import beverages in glass, aluminum or bi-metal containers; Or
- You only sell refillable beverage containers.
- What do I have to report?
The amount in pounds and by resin type of virgin plastic and postconsumer recycled plastic used annually.
CalRecycle has developed a standardized form to assist you with reporting. The report must be submitted under penalty of perjury.
The statute requires that amount be reported in pounds and by resin type (PRC Section 18015) of virgin plastic and postconsumer recycled plastic.
Please do not include confidential information in your report because the department will post whatever you submit to the CalRecycle Website.
- What is the department going to do with this information?
CalRecycle will scan your submission and post it on the CalRecycle website by April 15 each year.
- What is the due date of the report?
You are required to report every March 1 for containers filled or imported in the previous calendar year.
- Who can I call if I need help?
For questions related to the new reporting requirement, please contact Marla Harper at (916) 323-2558 or MarketInformation@CalRecycle.ca.gov.